Velocity Vector Fields: Differentiating a Vector Function to Scalar

In summary, the conversation discusses a one-parameter family of maps and the velocity vector field at t=0. It also addresses the question of how differentiating a vector function with respect to t results in a scalar function. The conversation also clarifies that the original function and the velocity vector field both have two components.
dyn
Hi. Given a one-parameter family of maps such as
Φt : ( x , y ) → ( xet + 2et -2 , ye2t ) the velocity vector field at t=0 is given by d(Φt)/dt = (x+2) ∂/∂x + 2y ∂/∂y
My question is ; how does differentiating a vector function Φt with respect to t result in a scalar function ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
My question is ; how does differentiating a vector function Φt with respect to t result in a scalar function ?
It doesn't.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
How do you go from ##\frac{d}{dt}[(xe^t + 2e^t - 2)\hat{x} + (ye^{2t})\hat{y}]## to what you have?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
How do you go from ##\frac{d}{dt}[(xe^t + 2e^t - 2)\hat{x} + (ye^{2t})\hat{y}]## to what you have?
The derivative is evaluated at ##t = 0##. The tangent vector basis is ##\partial_x## and ##\partial_y##.

Ahh. The basis was what I was missing. I suppose that makes sense, maybe. I would think that we would be looking at ##\frac{\partial \hat{x}}{\partial t}|_{t=0}## and ##\frac{\partial \hat{y}}{\partial t}|_{t=0}##, however.
Not trying to hijack the thread.
**I think I see the error of my ways, now.**

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
It doesn't.
The function Φ t takes 2 coordinates ( x , y ) into 2 different coordinates. I would think this makes them vectors while the velocity vector field doesn't look like a vector.

Last edited by a moderator:
dyn said:
The function Φ t takes 2 coordinates ( x , y ) into 2 different coordinates. I would think this makes them vectors while the velocity vector field doesn't look like a vector.
Yes it does. Remember that the tangent vector basis is ##\partial_\mu##.

So the original function is a vector with 2 components ? And the velocity vector field is a vector with one component ?

dyn said:
So the original function is a vector with 2 components ? And the velocity vector field is a vector with one component ?
No, both have two components. It is just a different way of writing it as a linear combination of the basis instead of a collection of components.

Likes dyn

1. What is a velocity vector field?

A velocity vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the motion of an object at every point in space. It is represented by a vector function, where each point on the function has a corresponding velocity vector that shows the direction and magnitude of the object's motion at that point.

2. How is a velocity vector field different from a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept that assigns a scalar value (such as temperature or pressure) to every point in space. In contrast, a velocity vector field assigns a velocity vector to every point in space, making it a vector field.

3. What is the process of differentiating a vector function to a scalar?

To differentiate a vector function to a scalar, you must first determine the derivative of each component of the vector function with respect to the independent variable. Then, you can combine these derivatives to create a new function that represents the rate of change of the vector function at each point in space.

4. What information can be obtained from a velocity vector field?

A velocity vector field provides information about the direction and magnitude of an object's motion at every point in space. It can also be used to calculate other properties such as acceleration, position, and displacement.

5. How is a velocity vector field used in real-world applications?

Velocity vector fields have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. They can be used to model and predict the motion of objects, analyze fluid flow patterns, and solve complex motion problems in various industries.