1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity vector

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck on part b. I've attached my attempt at a solution not sure if it's right and, if it is, where to go from there.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2
    All your work looks right so far. So now it looks like you have find times for the maximum and minimum of the speed, which will be a fairly straight-forward optimization problem.

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot btw. So I'm guessing I should differentiate the expression again right? And from there work out the max and min turning points of the graph?

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4
    Oh man, I don't think this is working out for me lol. Here's the working I've done thus far, I don't think it's correct; any ideas where I went wrong?

Edit: I uploaded the attachments the wrong way round.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Feb 24, 2014 #5
    No, I think you're going the right way. The derivative does get a bit messy, but it helps that a and w are both constant, so you can throw those out. I think the answers you'll get will be fairly simple too.

7. Feb 24, 2014 #6
    Since I've now got sin^-1(0) I don't know where to proceed from there. As far as I know, that wouldn't yield a max/min value, or would it? And I don't know how the w in the argument factors into all this

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted