Velocity vs displcement graph

In summary, the conversation was about drawing an acceleration vs displacement graph using basic equations of motion and calculus. The person attempted to write a linear equation in terms of velocity and displacement and differentiate it with respect to time, but was unsure if this was the correct method. They also mentioned using the relation between velocity, acceleration, and displacement to solve the question.
hav0c

Homework Statement

The graph is as folllows-(SEE ATTACHMENT)
Q.draw acceleration vs disp. graph.

Homework Equations

Basic equations of motion, basic calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to write a linear equation in v and s and then differentiating it w.r.t. to time. but I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it. It gives me a positive slope and -ve y intercept.
Also if there is/are any other ways please do tell

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 323
Physics news on Phys.org
first write the v-s equation, but do not diffrentiate it with time(as it would add one more variable which is not needed)

Hint: What is the relation between v,a and s?

thanks for your reply.
i have solved the question.
1 doubt though which extra variable is generated? on differentiation
v becomes a
s becomes v
constant is eliminated

hav0c said:
thanks for your reply.
i have solved the question.
1 doubt though which extra variable is generated? on differentiation
v becomes a
s becomes v
constant is eliminated

I thought 't" would create some some problems but thanks it is eliminated. You can also do it using the relation a = v*dv/ds. This was what i was referring to!

me.I would approach this problem by first understanding the relationship between velocity and displacement. The velocity vs displacement graph shows the relationship between these two variables, where velocity is plotted on the y-axis and displacement is plotted on the x-axis.

To draw the acceleration vs displacement graph, we need to understand the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and displacement. Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity with respect to time, and it can be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function. Therefore, to draw the acceleration vs displacement graph, we need to take the derivative of the velocity function and plot it on the y-axis, while displacement remains on the x-axis.

One way to approach this is to use the basic equations of motion, specifically the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Rearranging this equation, we get a = (v-u)/t. We can then substitute the equation for velocity (v = ds/dt) into this equation, where s is the displacement and t is the time. This gives us a = (ds/dt - u)/t.

Therefore, the equation for acceleration as a function of displacement is a = (ds/dt - u)/t. To plot this on the graph, we can choose different values for u and t and use the equation to calculate the corresponding values of acceleration. This will give us a series of points that we can then plot on the acceleration vs displacement graph.

Another approach could be to use basic calculus to find the derivative of the velocity function, which will give us the acceleration function. We can then plot this function on the graph to get the acceleration vs displacement curve.

In conclusion, there are several ways to approach this problem, but the key is to understand the relationship between velocity, acceleration, and displacement and use the appropriate equations and methods to calculate and plot the acceleration vs displacement graph.

What is a velocity vs displacement graph?

A velocity vs displacement graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's velocity (speed and direction) and its displacement (change in position) over a given time period.

How is a velocity vs displacement graph created?

To create a velocity vs displacement graph, you will need to collect data on the object's position at different time intervals. This data can then be plotted on a graph, with displacement on the x-axis and velocity on the y-axis. The resulting line on the graph will show the object's velocity at different positions.

What does the slope of a velocity vs displacement graph represent?

The slope of a velocity vs displacement graph represents the object's velocity at a given point in time. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. A horizontal line on the graph would indicate that the object is not moving (zero velocity).

How can a velocity vs displacement graph be used to calculate acceleration?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by finding the slope of the velocity vs displacement graph. This can be done by dividing the change in velocity by the change in displacement. The resulting value will be the object's acceleration.

What are the key features of a velocity vs displacement graph?

The key features of a velocity vs displacement graph include the shape of the line (which can be linear or curved), the slope of the line (which represents velocity), and the x-intercept (which represents the object's initial position). These features can provide information about the object's motion and speed.