1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity w/ kinetic energy

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Riding a Loop-the-loop. A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track shown in the figure. It starts from rest at point A at a height h above the bottom of the loop. Treat the car as a particle.
    If the car starts at height h= 95.0 m and the radius is r= 19.0 m, compute the speed of the passengers when the car is at point c, which is at the end of a horizontal diameter.
    Take the free fall acceleration to be g= 9.80 m/s^2.
    This is a poorly worded problem in my opinion. For one thing, I don't know where C is by their description.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    Any help would be appreciated
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    If you treat the loop as a circle, C is at x = pi. You want to use energy methods to solve this problem.
  5. Nov 7, 2005 #4
    How would I set that up if I don't know the mass or weight of the coaster. The only equation I know is (1/2)*m*v^2 + m*g*y_1 = (1/2)*mv^2 + mg*y_2
  6. Nov 7, 2005 #5
    Notice that any change in kinetic energy would only be caused by a change in potential energy. You know the PE at point A so you know the KE at the bottom of the circle. Now to displace 'r' in the upwards direction you'll need to gain a PE of 'mg(r)' by losing it from your KE at the bottom. Get the idea?
  7. Nov 7, 2005 #6
    Not Really. The potential energy at point a= mgy = m(9.8)(95) does it not? I still dont know the mass.
  8. Nov 7, 2005 #7
    Okay, the total energy E = PE + KE. Te total energy is constant.
    At the top KE = 0 so the total energy is PE.
    At the bottom the PE = 0 So the KE = (the old PE).

Get that so far? You don't need to know the mass, it will cancel.
  9. Nov 7, 2005 #8
    so pe=g*95 ?
  10. Nov 7, 2005 #9
    No the PE = mg(95) like you said. Since you can't get over this hump I"ll give you a push:

The change in kinetic energy will be due to the change in potential energy:

[tex] \Delta KE = \Delta PE [/itex]

[tex] KE_f - KE_i = PE_f - PE_i [/tex]

[tex] KE_f - 0 = 0 - PE_i [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = -mgh [/tex]
  11. Nov 7, 2005 #10
    Sorry, I just don't understand this at all, but I already said from the beginning that .5mv^2=-mgh, but I still don't know how im suppose to solve for v without m.
  12. Nov 7, 2005 #11
    [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = -mgh [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}mv^2}{m} = \frac{-mgh}{m} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = -gh [/tex]

Since we are just looking for a change in potential, we don't need a magnitude and can take away the negative.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = gh [/tex].

Can you find v now?
  13. Nov 7, 2005 #12
    NO I CANT!!!!

v=43.15 = INCORRECT ANSWER!!!!
  14. Nov 7, 2005 #13
    Thank you whozom for completely wasting the past two hours of my life.
  15. Nov 8, 2005 #14

I showed you how to do your problem. Your incompetance is not my fault.
  16. Nov 8, 2005 #15
    They say "the end of a horizontal diameter", which probably means "at half the circle's diameter above the ground" (i.e. a position on a horizontal line through the middle of the circle). In that case the difference in height between the starting point and point C would be 95-19=76.

Does using this height difference (in the equation that whozum provided) give you the right answer?
  17. Nov 8, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try that g*h multiplication again before you get pissy next time...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?