What is the Velocity of a Car in a Loop-the-Loop Amusement Park Ride?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the speed of a car on an amusement park ride at a specific point on the track. The conversation also includes a poorly worded problem and various attempts at solving it using energy methods. Ultimately, it is suggested that the height difference between the starting point and the specified point on the track should be used in the equation to find the speed.
ledhead86
Riding a Loop-the-loop. A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track shown in the figure. It starts from rest at point A at a height h above the bottom of the loop. Treat the car as a particle.
http://community.webshots.com/user/mmaddoxwku"
If the car starts at height h= 95.0 m and the radius is r= 19.0 m, compute the speed of the passengers when the car is at point c, which is at the end of a horizontal diameter.
Take the free fall acceleration to be g= 9.80 m/s^2.
This is a poorly worded problem in my opinion. For one thing, I don't know where C is by their description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated

If you treat the loop as a circle, C is at x = pi. You want to use energy methods to solve this problem.

How would I set that up if I don't know the mass or weight of the coaster. The only equation I know is (1/2)*m*v^2 + m*g*y_1 = (1/2)*mv^2 + mg*y_2

Notice that any change in kinetic energy would only be caused by a change in potential energy. You know the PE at point A so you know the KE at the bottom of the circle. Now to displace 'r' in the upwards direction you'll need to gain a PE of 'mg(r)' by losing it from your KE at the bottom. Get the idea?

whozum said:
Notice that any change in kinetic energy would only be caused by a change in potential energy. You know the PE at point A so you know the KE at the bottom of the circle. Now to displace 'r' in the upwards direction you'll need to gain a PE of 'mg(r)' by losing it from your KE at the bottom. Get the idea?

Not Really. The potential energy at point a= mgy = m(9.8)(95) does it not? I still don't know the mass.

Okay, the total energy E = PE + KE. Te total energy is constant.
At the top KE = 0 so the total energy is PE.
At the bottom the PE = 0 So the KE = (the old PE).

Get that so far? You don't need to know the mass, it will cancel.

so pe=g*95 ?

No the PE = mg(95) like you said. Since you can't get over this hump I"ll give you a push:

The change in kinetic energy will be due to the change in potential energy:

[tex] \Delta KE = \Delta PE [/itex]

[tex] KE_f - KE_i = PE_f - PE_i [/tex]

[tex] KE_f - 0 = 0 - PE_i [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = -mgh [/tex]

Sorry, I just don't understand this at all, but I already said from the beginning that .5mv^2=-mgh, but I still don't know how I am suppose to solve for v without m.

[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}mv^2}{m} = \frac{-mgh}{m} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = -gh [/tex]

Since we are just looking for a change in potential, we don't need a magnitude and can take away the negative.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = gh [/tex].

Can you find v now?

whozum said:
[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}mv^2}{m} = \frac{-mgh}{m} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = -gh [/tex]
Since we are just looking for a change in potential, we don't need a magnitude and can take away the negative.
[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = gh [/tex].
Can you find v now?
NO I CANT!

.5v^2=gh
.5v^2=931
v^2=1862
v=43.15 = INCORRECT ANSWER!

Thank you whozom for completely wasting the past two hours of my life.

ledhead86 said:

I showed you how to do your problem. Your incompetance is not my fault.

ledhead86 said:
Riding a Loop-the-loop. A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track shown in the figure. It starts from rest at point A at a height h above the bottom of the loop. Treat the car as a particle.
http://community.webshots.com/user/mmaddoxwku"
If the car starts at height h= 95.0 m and the radius is r= 19.0 m, compute the speed of the passengers when the car is at point c, which is at the end of a horizontal diameter.
Take the free fall acceleration to be g= 9.80 m/s^2.
This is a poorly worded problem in my opinion. For one thing, I don't know where C is by their description.
They say "the end of a horizontal diameter", which probably means "at half the circle's diameter above the ground" (i.e. a position on a horizontal line through the middle of the circle). In that case the difference in height between the starting point and point C would be 95-19=76.

Does using this height difference (in the equation that whozum provided) give you the right answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
ledhead86 said:

Try that g*h multiplication again before you get pissy next time...

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is usually expressed in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object and is given by the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

4. How are velocity and kinetic energy related?

Velocity and kinetic energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Conversely, as an object's velocity decreases, its kinetic energy also decreases.

5. How is kinetic energy affected by changes in mass and velocity?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that a change in either the mass or velocity of an object will result in a change in its kinetic energy. For example, doubling the mass of an object will also double its kinetic energy, while doubling the velocity will quadruple its kinetic energy.