Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Feb 28, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone.... I want your sides...

Does vengeance achieve justice? Peace? or strife?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2004 #2
    I am currently halfway through reading The Count of Monte Cristo, a story about vengeance, so I will let you know when I am done with it. It's really, really thick and runs to more than a 1000 pages so wish me luck! :smile:

So far, the vengeance narrated in the book seems to achieve some justice. So vengeance looks like a pretty cool thing to me now!

But I have a feeling things are about to change for Edmond Dantes, the books's protagonist. Excuse me while I continue reading page 551 of the book.
  4. Feb 29, 2004 #3
    I'm sure that vengeance has served useful purposes, but I'm heavily opposed to the idea of vengeance.

People make up words like "justice" to describe revenge so they can act like their immorality is the right thing to do.

What has happened is in the past. Many people want to hurt others just to "get back" at someone who's hurt them or someone they know, but this just adds unnecessary suffering. Hurting someone for pain's sake is a vice, not a virtue.

Now, sometimes taking punitive measures is good for preventing future crimes. But this should be distinguished from revenge for revenge's sake, which is wholly unethical.
  5. Feb 29, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

vengeance is satisfactory but wrong.
  6. Feb 29, 2004 #5
    By the way...

I forgot to mention something.. the story was The Cask of Amontillado. Anyways, thanks for the replies... I still want to "listen" from others. =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?