1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venturi effect

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    A Venturi device has a diameter of 4mm at one end and a diameter of 2cm at the other. Air enters at 1200cm^3/m. Mercury is in the botom of the device. Assuming mercury's density to be 13700kg/m^3, and air's density to be 1.2kg/m^3, find how high the mercury rises. Assume air to be an ideal fluid.

I got ridiculously large numbers for this.

This is outrageously fast, and I did the same calculation for the other end and got 38197m/s, using a 1cm radius.

I don't think this is quite right. Are these velocities correct? The next tep is to plug the velocities into Bernoulli's equation:

(Mercury's density)(g)(h)=(0.5)(density of air)(v2^2-v1^2)

And solve for v, but I got around 400000m for the answer. I know it is incorrect.

Am I doing something wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2
    I found out that I was converting the cm^3 to m^3 wrong. I calculated the height of the mercury in the tube to be 4.1, and it is wrong according to MasteringPhysics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?