Understanding the Venturi Effect: Solving Equations for Ideal Liquid Flow

• Thread starter Olly Vogel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venturi
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding the Venturi effect and a youtube video that provides a solution. The problem involves finding velocities in a pipe system with given cross-sections, water levels, and height difference. The solution requires the use of three equations, with equation 3 causing confusion due to the difference in water levels in the pipes. Further explanation and clarification on the equations is given, including the use of Bernoulli's principle and the importance of measuring down to the center of the pipes. The conversation also addresses some points and potential errors in the equations.
Olly Vogel
Hello everyone :)

I was given a problem reguarding Venturi effect. By a coincidence, I found a youtube video which solves the same question, but I didn't undersand one of its equations.
The problem:
upload_2017-7-12_22-36-36.png
61175a4c-96b8-4927-8611-ad5fb8646159

There is this pipe system of flowing ideal liquid. The cross-sections A1 and A2 are given, the water in the vertical pipes is static, and the height diffrence h is also given. I need to find the velecoties v1, v2.
The video with the problem and the answer:

In order to solve this, I need to use 3 equations:
1) A1*P1=A2*P2
2) 1/2*(v2)^2+P2=1/2*(v1)^2+P1
3) P2=P1+ρgh

I don't understand 3, because I thought the fact that the bottom of the left vertical pipe is lower than the right one matters. In other words, how can I claim that the pressure in the top of the water in left pipe equals to the point in the other pipe in the same height.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you measure down to the center of the pipe (where they are at the same vertical level), does that help?
Also, in the video they use Pa and Pb, where a is in the small section (where it is P2), and b is in the large section (which would be P1).
So really it should say:
P1=P2+ρgh because P1 (the pressure in the large section of pipe) is the higher pressure, it pushes the liquid higher up in the tube (higher from the same reference level).

Bernoulli applies to any streamline and we just pick the center line as our streamline.
A couple of points:
1. Just out of interest: you can't solve for p1 and p2 separately, just (p1 - p2), unless you know the levels in both pipes separately also.
2. Your 1st eq. is probably a typo.
3. Your eq. 2 needs the water density in it. Maybe another typo.
Scottdave has already pointed out the error in your eq. 3.
3.You can apply bernoulli to each pipe also, but it's a bit tricky: what is the effective v at the bottom of the pipes? Is it zero or is it v1 or v2 respectively? Again, think streamline: the obvious streamline is zero velocity thruout each pipe: once water is in each pipe there is no further flow of water from the conduits to the respective pipes, so no streamline there. Anyway, if you do you just get
p1 = patmosphere - ρgh1, p2 = patmosphere - ρgh2 and p1 - p2 = ρgh
which leads to the formula for v1 in the video.

1. What is the Venturi Effect?

The Venturi Effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where the pressure in a constricted section of a pipe or tube decreases, causing the velocity of the fluid to increase. This effect was first described by Italian physicist Giovanni Battista Venturi in the 18th century.

2. How does the Venturi Effect work?

The Venturi Effect works by increasing the fluid's velocity in a constricted section of a pipe or tube. As the velocity increases, the pressure decreases. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, where the total energy of the fluid remains constant, but is converted from potential energy (pressure) to kinetic energy (velocity).

3. What is the equation for the Venturi Effect?

The equation for the Venturi Effect is:

A1v1 = A2v2

where A1 and A2 are the cross-sectional areas of the pipe/tube before and after the constriction, and v1 and v2 are the velocities of the fluid at those points.

4. What is the ideal liquid flow?

Ideal liquid flow is a theoretical concept where the fluid is assumed to have no viscosity (internal friction) and to flow without any turbulence. This allows for easier calculations and predictions of fluid behavior.

5. How can the Venturi Effect be applied in real life?

The Venturi Effect has many practical applications, such as in carburetors for cars, where it is used to mix air and fuel for combustion. It is also used in respiratory devices to regulate oxygen flow, and in water meters to measure water flow. Additionally, it is used in wind tunnels to create high-speed air flow for testing purposes.