1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venturi / Flow Rate

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    • Known/Given
      • Water flows through a Venturi meter (mercury [density=13.6E3 kg/m^3] in the manometer).
      • Pipe size: 10.0cm diameter
      • Constriction size: 5.6cm diameter
      • Height difference of mercury: 2.3cm
    • Unknown - Flow Rate (L/s)

2. Relevant equations
    • Bernoulli's - P1 + (1/2)*d*V1^2 = P2 + (1/2)*d*(V2)^2
    • Flow Rate - I = A1*V1 = A2 * V2
    • Pressure drop - the book has this exact example, and says that P1 - P2 = (D_fluid [water] - D_liquid [mercury])*g*H
    However, I don't understand why the pressure drop isn't just:
    D_mercury*g*H

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the book's guided steps:
    • V2 = (A1/A2)*V1
    • P1 - P2 = (1/2)*D_water*((A1/A2)^2-1)*V1^2
    • (1/2)*D_water*((A1/A2)^2-1)*V1^2 = (D_water - D_mercury)*g*H
    • v1 = 0.7875m/s
    • v1 = 78.75cm/s
    • Flow = 78.75 * pi * (10cm/2)^2 = 6185 cm^3/s
    • 6185 cm^3/s * ([1 L/s] / [1000^3 cm^3/s]) = .03825 L/s

This is off everyone's favorite online homework system, WebAssign, and I have used 5/6 submissions :bugeye: I'm terribly sorry for the awful formatting, but I don't have access to a good typesetting program as of yet (downloading TeX as we speak [well... as I type]).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2
    I agree that you should just use the delta P given in 23mm Hg. See what answer you come up with and we can look that over before No 6 submission.

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    After confirming with a friend, I realized that I just had the conversion factor wrong. Their method worked, and apparently m^3/s * 1000 = L/s. Unfortunately, this leaves me no closer to understand why they used the two densities and not just the mercury density. With a lot of luck I might be able to extract a coherent [say: in English] answer from my TA, but probably not.

5. Apr 11, 2007 #4
    anychance you can post a picture if given? I get 6.42L/s using just 23mmHg for delta P

6. Apr 11, 2007 #5
    Picture

[​IMG]

The correct answer turned out to be 12.7 L/s. I get everything except for the use of the change in densities.

Thanks for all your help, by the way, I appreciate it! To think of my 40k / year tuition and I need to find help online from a helpful stranger.

7. Apr 11, 2007 #6
    Thats too funny and sad at the same time. I went to school when many of the TA's still spoke english.

anyhow, all i know is that the delta p and rho need to be in the same units as you cant mix and match say mm Hg with density of water in g/ml etc. Let me know if you get a good explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?