1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venturi Meter

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1
    Please refer to page 6 of

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/jphys/jphys_webct/jp_exams/1902_exam_2004.pdf

I'm quoting from the solution guide:

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/jphys/jphys_webct/jp_exams/1902_exam_solutions_2004.pdf

[itex]P_1 = P_A + \rho g y_1 [/itex] and [itex]P_2 = P_A + \rho g y_2 [/itex]

Hence

[itex]\Delta h = y_1 - y_2[/itex].

Is it just me or does this last step total nonsense? AIUI, [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] refer to the position of the water levels measured with respect to two different coordinate systems. So how is it justified to say [itex]\Delta h = y_1 - y_2[/itex]? I drew a diagram and calculated the vertical separation between the water levels to be [itex]y_1 - y_2 + \frac{D_2 - D_1}{2}[/itex]. Could someone please point out if I am missing something obvious.

Thanks.

James

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You're only asked to calculate the height differences on the columns. That's pretty much just a fluid statics problem. The pressures are all you care about. When you ask how is it justified to say [tex]y_1 = y_2[/tex] just take a look at the fluid static FBD:

At column number 1, you have atmospheric pressure in equillibrium with the fluid static pressure at point one, or [tex]P_1 = P_a + \rho g y_1[/tex]. At point 2, you have atmospheric pressure in equillibrium with the fluid's static pressure at point 2 or [tex]P_2 = P_a + \rho g y_2[/tex].

Since it is assumed incompressible and no local changes in g, then that means that the only thing that can change as [tex]P_1[/tex] amd [tex]P_2[/tex] change is [tex]y[/tex].

I guess the best thing would be for you to post how you came up with your answer and we can go from there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    The diagram is mislabeled. The delta h in the diagram is [itex]y_1 - y_2 + \frac{D_2 - D_1}{2}[/itex]. The question makes sense as long as you "assume" that they actually want [itex]y_1 - y_2[/itex]. Quite a silly question.

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You've lost me on that one. The [tex]\Delta h[/tex] is the pressure drop across the venturi. [tex]\Delta h[/tex] has to equal [tex]y_1 - y_2[/tex]. How can they be different values? All that is done is to take the relationship derived for [tex]P_1 - P_2 = \frac{1}{2}\rho \Delta V^2[/tex] and replace the velocity terms with [tex]V = \frac{R}{A}[/tex]

Show how you arrived at your conclusion. That would help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?