Understanding the Venturi Effect

• I
  • Thread starter Sundog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venturi
In summary, the Venturi effect creates an area of higher fluid velocity with a lower pressure, which is why pressure decreases when fluid passes through a Venturi. This reasoning is based on the steady state condition, after the system has settled down. What happens during the transition in all these situations is much harder to appreciate.
Sundog
I know that the Venturi effect creates an area of higher fluid velocity with a lower pressure. However I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. I would think that if a fluid passes through a contricted area, pressure would increase. Can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you searched for the term Venturi Effect? What have you learned so far?
Bottom line explanation is that, if the fluid ends up going faster then it must have had a pressure difference to accelerate it. This reasoning is based on the steady state condition, after the system has settled down - just like the 'how does a resistor know what current to let through?' type questions. What happens during the transition in all these situations is much harder to appreciate. Sort out one thing at a time.

Likes Sundog
Basically I know that velocity increases and pressure decreases in order for the fluid to pass through the Venturi. But...my mind goes the opposite way haha. I'll have to let your explanation sink in :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur
Sundog said:
But...my mind goes the opposite way haha
Same for everybody to start with, I think.

Likes Sundog
What's missing here is something has to maintain the pressure at the "entry" and "exit" points of a flow. Generally, depending on the source of the pressure, an unrestricted flow will have less pressure than a restricted flow, but the higher pressure related to a restricted flow occurs prior to the restriction, and it's only within the constriction that the velocity increases and the pressure decreases. Once beyond the constricted section, the velocity decreases and the pressure increases, but there needs to be something to maintain the pressure beyond the restriction, and in order to have a steady non accelerating mass flow within a pipe of constant diameter except for the restriction, the pressure before and after the restriction needs to be the same, and something needs to maintain that pressure.

Consider that static pressure is related to the random collisions between molecules of a fluid or gas, and between those molecules and the inner walls of a pipe. Assume that the total mechanical energy is constant, which is an assumption required for Bernoulli's equation. If there is a net velocity of the flow, then some component of the mechanical energy is related to the net velocity (this would be dynamic pressure * volume). The higher the net velocity, the lower the components of velocity perpendicular to the flow, so that the "randomness" of the flow is "reduced", the flow is more "organized". The static pressure is changed when the net flow velocity is changed, if the net flow velocity increases, then the static pressure decreases and dynamic pressure increases (total pressure = static + dynamic pressure remains constant) assuming no outside work is done during the transition.

Last edited:
Likes MisterX and Sundog
I'll really have to let that sink in

1. What is the Venturi Effect?

The Venturi Effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where the pressure in a confined fluid decreases as the fluid's velocity increases. This effect was first observed by Italian physicist Giovanni Battista Venturi in the 18th century.

2. How does the Venturi Effect work?

The Venturi Effect occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, flows through a constricted section of a pipe or tube. As the fluid passes through the constricted area, its velocity increases while the pressure decreases. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, which states that as the fluid's kinetic energy increases, its potential energy (pressure) decreases.

3. What are some practical applications of the Venturi Effect?

The Venturi Effect has many practical applications in various industries. For example, it is used in carburetors to mix air with fuel in gasoline engines, in atomizers to create a fine spray of liquid, and in ventilation systems to control air flow. It is also used in medical devices such as nebulizers and oxygen delivery systems.

4. Is the Venturi Effect related to Bernoulli's Principle?

Yes, the Venturi Effect is a direct consequence of Bernoulli's Principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In the case of the Venturi Effect, the constriction in the pipe causes the fluid to speed up, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

5. Can the Venturi Effect be used to create a vacuum?

Yes, the Venturi Effect can be used to create a partial vacuum. By creating a constriction in a pipe, the velocity of the fluid passing through it increases, causing the pressure to decrease. This decrease in pressure can be used to draw in air or other fluids from the surrounding environment, creating a vacuum.