1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venturimeter question doubt

Tags:
  1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    Hi all

I was trying to solve some numerical problems on venturimeter. I got stuck due to a formula, that I was not able to make sense of. It is a conversion of reading of differential manometer in mercury to corresponding reading in water. I've attached the question, please help me understand it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi ujjwal kapil. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Draw a U-tube manometer showing a difference in mercury levels. Now, add water above both surfaces of mercury, and show pressures of P1 and P2 acting on that water.

Apply your ρgh formula, etc., and derive the pressure differential P2 - P1 in terms of the other quantities present. Write your working here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    I have found an answer, but not in accordance with the solution.
    20cm of Hg= 272cm of H2O, but it is given as 252 in the solution.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Keep it simple, draw a symmetrical U-tube.

You overlooked the water! On one side you have P1 and a column of h metres of H2O balanced on the other side by P2 and a column of h metres of Hg.

So try this again. Keep it as algebra, don't substitute numbers. We're aiming towards that expression you circled, remember?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted