Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Venus in broad daylight

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    The last couple of days I have been able to spot Venus with the naked eye in the middle of the day. I'm in Denver Colorado, just curious as to how often this happens and if it's visible from sea level during the day right now. I can't find much about on Google.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup ... well done,
    if you know where to look and it's usually not too far from the sun. Of course you wont see it if it is behind the sun in its orbit ( from our perspective) and likewise if between the sun and us. the best times are when it's at greatest elongation from the sun ( furthest out to either side) where the sun glare isn't so bad.
    In years gone bye it was always a fav daytime activity at astronomy club camps

Stellarium program will show you the best times to look for Venus and where it is in relation to the sun
    here's a screen dump from Stellarium for my location today Fri 17th Feb
    You can see that the sun is in the low western sky and Venus is up and to the right

upload_2017-2-17_17-53-49.png

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted