1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Venus' temperature, radiation values and altitude

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I have a list of measured temperature values of Venus at altitudes from several missions to the planet. This temperature is a combination of outgoing thermal emission from the planet, incoming thermal emission from the sun and any chemical reactions going on in the atmosphere.

Can I use the temperature value at each altitude and plug it into Stefen-Boltzman law to get the power per metres squared at each spatial point with temperature because each point acts as a source of electromagnetic radiation?

Below I am assuming irradiance, exitance or emittance (however you want to call it) can be equated to the stefan-boltzman law so I can obtain irradiance, exitance or emittance from temperature. I assume irradiance, exitance and emittance can be somewhat similar because regardless of whether the radiation is incoming or outgoing on an area, its the same power value for a specific area.

Irradiance, Emittance or Exitance = Φ / Area = σ T4 [Wm-2]

Φ = radiant flux or radiant power
    σ = Stef-Boltz constant
    Also would it be an okay approximation to assume emissivity of 1 or do I need the emissivity at each altitude for this to work?

Please can someone offer advice (this is not homework)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted