Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venus transit question

1. Jun 11, 2004 #1
    I took a look at this video of the transit:

And something just doesn't look right. It appears that Venus changes direction once it comes into full view. I played it foward and backwards, put a straght edge on it and it does seem to deviate.

Can anybody explain why it looks like that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rotation of the Earth during the transit changes the angle of the Sun's north pole as viewed from the telescope, maybe?
  4. Jun 11, 2004 #3
    Oh, man, that's bizarre.

I took a movie of the thing too - think I'll have to go back and review it, but I really don't think I noticed anything like that.

Did you get footage as venus crossed the opposite limb? I'd be curious to know if this is observational effect which is observed when it's near the sun's limb, much like the mysterious "tadpole" effect (ohterwise known as the "black drop" effect).

What did you take the footage with? - I had a 14inch schmidt-cass and a sony 5 megapixel and my video isn't nearly as good as yours. :grumpy: :biggrin:
  5. Jun 11, 2004 #4

I don't think the field rotation is significant in this clip.
  6. Jun 11, 2004 #5

7. Jun 14, 2004 #6
    ^oohhh, yes that would make sense now wouldn't it? :P
  8. Jun 14, 2004 #7
  9. Jun 14, 2004 #8

Then it came from TRACE.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?