Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verdict against Saddam Hussein!

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Apparently Saddam Hussein has been found guilty and has been sentenced to death by hanging for crimes against humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Saddam_Hussein

This will not exactly endear the US to many in the world.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    To think, tens, or hundreds of thousands have died to make this execution possible.

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    Yep, i know. This is completely redundant IMHO, even the "symbolic" value of this trial and sentence are overestimated. But anyhow, like most people, i don't really care.

regards
    marlon

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Good riddance to him.
    It won't make the world a better place, though.

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5
    There is still another trial to be held. Then they will go into the appeals stage. In the meantime there is still the possibility of violence.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003348279_saddam05.html

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Well, here is Rove's "October surprise", though it should not have come as a surprise at all. It'll give the elephants a bump among some fence-sitters, but will it turn any Congressional races for them?

8. Nov 5, 2006 #7
    They should've shot him in the face while he cowered in his hole like the dog that he is.

Instead we had to waste resources to try this animal - and now even more time and money is going to be spent on an appeal. What a crock.

9. Nov 5, 2006 #8
    There is a bit of irony here in the fact that most of our allies are against the death penality.

10. Nov 5, 2006 #9
    you know, its Always a waste of resources to give a guilty man a trial? we should execute suspects before their trials so we don't have to spend money for sound prosecutions

11. Nov 5, 2006 #10

russ_watters

You picked an ironic part of the article to quote, Astronuc: there's a big, pink warning at the top of the page that the neutrality of the article may be compromised by "weasel words" and the section you quoted contains one fact followed by two weasel words - and both have since been removed from the article.

12. Nov 5, 2006 #11
    On a side note, I was very impressed when reading about the Nuremberg trials... (sorry for going off topic, at least its not that far off topic).

13. Nov 5, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Well, we've preserved the original for posterity. I simply quoted what was there, and I wasn't inferring anything, although the comment about US influence was a concern. Hopefully the US influence was simply technical, i.e. helping with the court and trial structure.

:rofl: That just doesn't look right! :rofl: I hate weasel words and weasel-worded statements. Of course, we know that anyone can edit Wikipedia, so statements, particularly those of a political nature, must be given proper scrutiny.

Well, we're supposed to be the 'good guys', and good guys don't shoot unarmed people in holes. We've got to go through the process.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  14. Nov 6, 2006 #13
    There are sectarian riots in the streets, in response to this. The AP article is notable for having a spelling error in its title:

(AP)

15. Nov 6, 2006 #14

Astronuc

More importantly in the article:
    Hopefully resentment is not simmering and building. The rate of violence while still high has not increased. I would hope that people get tired of it and move on to being more peaceful and productive.

16. Nov 6, 2006 #15
    Just before the Mid-terms as well, coincidence? I think not

17. Nov 6, 2006 #16

Astronuc

Hussein Trial Was Flawed but Reasonably Fair, and Verdict Was Justified, Legal Experts Say
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/06/world/middleeast/06trial.html
    By JULIA PRESTON
    That's the key point, like it or not.

However - the ramifications -

In a Divided Iraq, Reaction to Saddam Death Sentence Conforms to Sectarian Lines
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/06/world/middleeast/06voices.html
    By SABRINA TAVERNISE
    BAGHDAD, Nov. 5

18. Nov 6, 2006 #17

LURCH

Science Advisor

Unfortunately, I think that's necessary for the politic process. The word politics means that two opposing views must clash. This is how one view gains dominance over another, and becomes a decision, and thence a course of action. Without this polarizing process, nothing would get resolved, so nothing would get done.

I just wish we could do it without the violence.

19. Nov 9, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Mubarak Warns Against Hanging Saddam
    from The Associated Press
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6462656

It would seem revenge, retribution and retaliation are still very much part of human behavior.

20. Nov 10, 2006 #19
    I think this will be the straw that broke the camels back. I think that executing Sadam is not the right thing to do. He was an evil man, and did evil things, but I am against the death penalty. I believe In this case it will escalate tensions, between Sunni's and Sheia factions, it wont bring any good, and will make a martyr. I dont believe the court is without its outside influences, and to be honest is more akin to a kangaroo court than anything. He should have been tried outside Iraq, and outside of the Neo-con's influence, in an international court. my 2 cents. No good will come from his death.

21. Nov 14, 2006 #20

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally, I do not care about what happens to Saddam, he was a bad guy.

However, I'm more concerned with the *reason* for his dead sentence. Apart from the fact that one can have doubt about the process' fairness, the problem is that Saddam is a former head of state that is condemned to be hung for being responsible for the death of 150 civilians as a direct consequence of his orders.

Now, there are some other heads of state who are responsible for the dead of less than 200 civilians as a direct consequence of the execution of their orders! Are they also going to be hung ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?