Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verification of of Phase vs. Group Velocity

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    How do i go about verifying this statement: If the phase velocity is the same for all wavelenghts of a certain wave phenomenon (no dispersion), the group and phase velocities are equal. Do i just put the two formulas equal to each other and solve for something or what?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2
    any ideas on how to even start?

4. Oct 10, 2004 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Phase Velocity = w/k

Group Velocity = dw/dk

If w/k is constant, it really is not that hard to show that the phase and group velocities are equal.

Claude.

5. Oct 10, 2004 #4
    Explain please.

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Look at the dispersion relation (w vs k). If w/k is constant, the dispersion relation is just a straight line with gradient w/k.

Since the group velocity is the gradient, dw/dk, if the dispersion relation is a straight line, then the group velocity will be w/k for all w.

Claude.

7. Oct 12, 2004 #6
    I think he be suggesting that the local slope of a curve is be equal to the slope of the line joining any two points on it, if the curve is a straight line.

8. Oct 12, 2004 #7

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Spot on. Graphing w vs k may make it less confusing.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?