1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify infinite series

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that for all integers n [tex]\geq[/tex] 1,
    cos(2x) + cos(4x) + ... + cos(2nx) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] ([tex]\frac{sin((2n+1)x)}{sin(x)}[/tex]-1)

Use this to verify that
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(\int_{0}^{\pi}[/tex] x([tex]\pi[/tex]-x)cos(2nx)dx) =

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi}[/tex] x([tex]\pi[/tex]-x)dx)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I proved the first part of this problem using induction, however I don't see how I can use that to verify the second part. Maybe I can bring the summation into the integral and get the sum of cos(2nx), but I still don't see how that would give me what I need to prove. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you interchange the sum with the integral, you can substitute the identity you have proved.
    Then the second part (with the - 1) will give you the answer you want, you will just need to prove that
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac12 \int_0^\pi x (\pi - x) \frac{\sin((2n+1)x)}{\sin(x)}\, dx = 0[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook