Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify matrix is unitary

1. Dec 22, 2014 #1
    Hi,

A unitary matrix should have it transpose conjugate equal to its inverse. Please confirm that this statement is correct and check attached matrix as they are not equal and in doubt if I did correctly.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2014 #2
    Hi,
    suppose to have an unitary matrix (##U \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}##, so that ##U^{\dagger}=U^{-1}##), if you want to verify the unitariety of your matrix, just check if ##UU^{\dagger}= \mathbb{I}##.

4. Dec 22, 2014 #3
    That helps thank you.

5. Dec 23, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you saying (in the attached file) that ##\begin{pmatrix}i & 0\\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}## is the inverse of ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & i\end{pmatrix}##? It's not. To see this, just multiply these two matrices together.

6. Dec 30, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have at one point, that the "transpose conjugate" of [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & i\end{bmatrix}[/itex] is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -i\end{bmatrix}[/itex]. That is correct and that is the inverse matrix.

Below that, you have "inverse matrix" and [itex]\begin{bmatrix} i & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]. I don't know where that came from!

7. Jan 3, 2015 #6
    Right the product will result in the inverse:

1 0
    0 1

correct ?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  8. Jan 3, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What product? The product of the two matrices in post #5 is ##\begin{pmatrix}i & 0 \\ 0 & i\end{pmatrix}##. As HallsofIvy said, the inverse of ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & i\end{pmatrix}## is ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & -i\end{pmatrix}##. The product of these two matrices is the identity matrix.

9. Jan 4, 2015 #8
    sorry meant to say identity matrix (not inverse) - thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook