Help Me Understand Latex Derivatives: Struggling With Calculus After 2 Years

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a given function and using it to verify the solution of a differential equation. The person is struggling with solving the equation and is asking for help and guidance.
ae4jm
Sorry it's not the best Latex, I hope that you can still help me grasp this.

Code:
y=2xy[SUP]1[/SUP]+y(y[SUP]1[/SUP])[SUP]2[/SUP]; y[SUP]2[/SUP]=C[SUB]1[/SUB](x+1/4C[SUB]1[/SUB])

So, the solution says to implicitly differentiate and gives
Code:
y[SUP]1[/SUP]=C[SUB]1[/SUB]/2y

So, how did they get the derivative to be this? This is the first chapter in my DE class and I'm rusty with my integrals and derivatives, been about 2 years since my calc classes.

Thanks for any help...

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it that really what they have? Is there a reason for writing "[itex]y(y^2)^2[/itex] rather than just [itex]y^5[/itex]?

In my latex from my previous post it is actually supposed to be y prime where y is raised to the first power. But yes, this is how it was in the textbook...

Thanks for your reply...

Okay, I figured the derivative of
Code:
y[SUP]2[/SUP]=C[SUB]1[/SUB](X+(1/4)C[SUB]1[/SUB])
to be
Code:
 dy/dx=C[SUB]1[/SUB]/2y

But, now I can't verify the solution by plugging the derivative back into the equation, I can't get both sides equal to each other, which is what the problem is asking for. A differential equation with a solution was given; I'm supposed to find the derivative of the solution and plug it back into the differential equation to prove that the solution is actually a correct answer.

Any help? I tried plugging the derivative back into the DE and I've tried solving the solution for y and plugging that and the derivative back into the original DE but I've had no luck setting each other equal to the other. This is the same thing as solving a DE and checking your work but I can't get them to equal each other.

Thanks for any help or recommendations...

Please, can you guys offer me any guidance? After I find the derivative and plug it into the original DE and I solve the solution for y and plug it into the original DE I'm not getting the solution to be correct.

1. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input. It is essentially the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is understanding derivatives important in calculus?

Derivatives are essential for calculating rates of change, optimization problems, and determining the behavior of a function. They also serve as the foundation for higher-level calculus concepts.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function in calculus?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. These are different methods of differentiating functions based on their algebraic form.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives and graphs?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is equal to the slope of the tangent line to the graph of that function at that point. This means that the derivative can help us understand the shape and behavior of a graph.

5. How can I improve my understanding of derivatives in calculus?

To improve your understanding of derivatives, it is important to practice solving various types of derivative problems and to review the basic rules and concepts. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or tutoring services.