Verify Subset is a Subspace

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary: Now, if the linear equation does not have a solution, then the set {(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)\in\mathbf{F}^4:x_3=5x_4+b)} is not a subspace of \mathbf{F}^4.But if the linear equation does have a solution, then the set {(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)\in\mathbf{F}^4:x_3=5x_4+b)} is a subspace of \mathbf{F}^4.In summary, Dick shows that if the linear equation has a solution then the
Saladsamurai
Okay then. I just read the section of Axler on subspaces. It says that if U is a subset of V, then to check that U is a subspace of V we need only check that U satisfies the following:

additive identity

[tex]0\in U[/tex]

closed under addition

[tex]u,v\in U\text{ implies }u+v\,\in\,U[/tex]

closed under scalar multiplication

[tex]a\in\mathbf{F}\text{ and }u\in U\text{ implies }au\in U[/tex]

Now I am supposed to use these axioms to verify that for [itex]b\in\mathbf{F}[/itex], then

[tex]{(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)\in\mathbf{F}^4:x_3=5x_4+b}[/tex]

is a subspace of F4 iff b=0.

I am not exactly sure how to actually apply those 3 axioms to this problem?

How does one test that [itex]u,v\in U\text{ implies }u+v\,\in\,U[/itex]?

Should I start with something like:

(x1,x2,x3,x4)+(y1,y2,y3,y4)=(x1+y1,x2+y2,5x4+b+5y4+b,x4+y4) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) + (y_1,y_2,y_3,y_4) = (x_1 + y_1, x_2 + y_2, x_3 + y_3, x_4 + y_4)[/tex]

by definition. So there are two parts to this problem

1) Show if b=0 then this is a subspace
2) Show if this is a subspace then b=0

To work towards 1), if

[tex]x_3 = 5x_4[/tex] and [tex]y_3 = 5y_4[/tex]

show the RHS satisfies the necessary relationship. Rinse and repeat for the other stuff

To do part 2, you need to find a contradiction. So look at the three things required for the subset to be a subspace, and see if all of them hold

Okay. So just dealing with the x3+y3 part of the addition

x3+y3=5x4+5y4+2b.. I am sorry, but I still do not see why b must equal 0 :confused: what part of the definition is being violated if it is not?

Check the additive identity first. What is the additive identity? Now what happens if b is not 0?

Okay, I see now. I forgot about the other properties for a moment.

Can someone help me out wit the formalism of this? If this were a HW problem, my 'proof' would need to follow a certain format. Should I name the proposed subspace and then continue. Like this.

Proposition:
[tex]U={(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)\in\mathbf{F}^4:x_3=5x_4+b)\text{ is a subspace of }\mathbf{F}^4\text{ iff }b=0
[/tex]

Proof:

Now I am not sure how to formally state that since a subspace must include the additive identity then b must equal 0. How do you math savvy types do this?

You don't have to be that math savvy. You want to solve the equations x3=0, x4=0 and x3=5*x4+b. For what values of b is that possible?

Hey Dick. I realize that I don't have to be math savvy. I want to know what the typical manner in which one presents the verification of a problem such as this.

That way in the future I won't hit snags in proofs with the simple mechanics of presenting it. I will just have to worry about the logic.

Well, as I said, present it as a problem of whether the linear equation has the solution (x1,x2,x3,x4)=(0,0,0,0), which is what you need to have the additive identity in the subset.

1. What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements of another set. In other words, all elements of a subset are also elements of the larger set.

2. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. How do you verify if a subset is a subspace?

To verify if a subset is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This includes closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector.

4. What are some common mistakes when verifying a subset is a subspace?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to check closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and assuming that the subset is a subspace without verifying all the properties.

5. Can a subset be a subspace of more than one vector space?

Yes, a subset can be a subspace of more than one vector space as long as it satisfies all the properties of a vector space for each vector space it is a subset of.