1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify Subset is a Subspace

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    Okay then. I just read the section of Axler on subspaces. It says that if U is a subset of V, then to check that U is a subspace of V we need only check that U satisfies the following:

additive identity

[tex]0\in U[/tex]

closed under addition

[tex]u,v\in U\text{ implies }u+v\,\in\,U[/tex]

closed under scalar multiplication

[tex]a\in\mathbf{F}\text{ and }u\in U\text{ implies }au\in U[/tex]

Now I am supposed to use these axioms to verify that for [itex]b\in\mathbf{F}[/itex], then

[tex]{(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)\in\mathbf{F}^4:x_3=5x_4+b}[/tex]

is a subspace of F4 iff b=0.

I am not exactly sure how to actually apply those 3 axioms to this problem?

How does one test that [itex]u,v\in U\text{ implies }u+v\,\in\,U[/itex]?

Should I start with something like:

(x1,x2,x3,x4)+(y1,y2,y3,y4)=(x1+y1,x2+y2,5x4+b+5y4+b,x4+y4) ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex](x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) + (y_1,y_2,y_3,y_4) = (x_1 + y_1, x_2 + y_2, x_3 + y_3, x_4 + y_4)[/tex]

by definition. So there are two parts to this problem

1) Show if b=0 then this is a subspace
    2) Show if this is a subspace then b=0

To work towards 1), if

[tex]x_3 = 5x_4[/tex] and [tex]y_3 = 5y_4[/tex]

show the RHS satisfies the necessary relationship. Rinse and repeat for the other stuff

To do part 2, you need to find a contradiction. So look at the three things required for the subset to be a subspace, and see if all of them hold

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3
    Okay. So just dealing with the x3+y3 part of the addition

x3+y3=5x4+5y4+2b.. I am sorry, but I still do not see why b must equal 0 :confused: what part of the definition is being violated if it is not?

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4
    Check the additive identity first. What is the additive identity? Now what happens if b is not 0?

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5
    Okay, I see now. I forgot about the other properties for a moment.

Can someone help me out wit the formalism of this? If this were a HW problem, my 'proof' would need to follow a certain format. Should I name the proposed subspace and then continue. Like this.

Proposition:
    [tex]U={(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)\in\mathbf{F}^4:x_3=5x_4+b)\text{ is a subspace of }\mathbf{F}^4\text{ iff }b=0
    [/tex]

Proof:

Now I am not sure how to formally state that since a subspace must include the additive identity then b must equal 0. How do you math savvy types do this?

7. Jul 6, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to be that math savvy. You want to solve the equations x3=0, x4=0 and x3=5*x4+b. For what values of b is that possible?

8. Jul 6, 2009 #7
    Hey Dick. I realize that I don't have to be math savvy. I want to know what the typical manner in which one presents the verification of a problem such as this.

That way in the future I won't hit snags in proofs with the simple mechanics of presenting it. I will just have to worry about the logic.

9. Jul 6, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, as I said, present it as a problem of whether the linear equation has the solution (x1,x2,x3,x4)=(0,0,0,0), which is what you need to have the additive identity in the subset.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook