Verify that a vector is an eigenvector of a matrix

In summary, to verify that a vector is an eigenvector of a matrix without explicitly carrying out the calculations for eigenvalues, you can simply perform matrix multiplication and see if the resulting vector is a scalar multiple of the original vector. The scalar used in the multiplication will be the associated eigenvalue. This method is much simpler and less time consuming than finding all the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.
Benny
Hi could someone explain to me how to verify that a vector is an eigenvector of a matrix without explicitly carrying out the calculations which give the eigenvalues of the matrix? Here is an example to illustrate my problem.

Q. Let [tex]M = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{ - 3} & 1 & { - 2} & 4 \\
{ - 2} & 2 & 3 & { - 3} \\
1 & { - 7} & 7 & { - 1} \\
3 & 0 & { - 1} & { - 2} \\
\end{array}} \right][/tex] and [tex]v = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
1 \\
1 \\
1 \\
1 \\
\end{array}} \right][/tex].

Verify that v is an eigenvector of the matrix M and find its associated eigenvalue.

[Hint: DO NOT find all eigenvectors and eigenvalues of M]

I can't really think of a way to go about doing this question without carrying out the time consuming procedure of solving [tex]\det \left( {M - \lambda I} \right) = 0[/tex] for lambda. Perhaps there's a definition I need to recall to do this question?

Also, I've been working through some problems from various sources and the definition of eigenvector seems to differ which is confusing me. As far as I know, solving det(A - (lambda)I) = 0, where I is the identity matrix, for lamda gives the eigenvalues of the matrix A. Solving (A-(lamda)I)x = 0 for the vector x results in either a single vector or an infinite number of vectors (ie. parameters pop up).

In the case of a single vector resulting from the matrix equation, the eigenvector is just that vector isn't it? What about in the case of an infinite number of vector? For example x = (s,2t,t) = s(1,0,0) + t(0,2,1) where s and t are parameters? Are the eigenvectors all of the vectors represented by (s,2t,t)?

Help with any of the questions would be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi could someone explain to me how to verify that a vector is an eigenvector of a matrix without explicitly carrying out the calculations which give the eigenvalues of the matrix?

You're thinking WAY too hard! :biggrin:

Go back to the eigenvalue problem itself: [itex]A\vec{x}=\lambda\vec{x}[/itex], where [itex]A[/itex] is a square matrix and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a constant. If [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is an eigenvector of [itex]A[/itex] then a simple matrix multiplication will show it.

As you say correctly in the end, the eigenvectors are always determined up to a scalair, so if v is an eigenvector, mv is one too with m a scalar.

As for your question, compute [itex]Mv[/itex] and see if the result is a multiple of the original vector, the scalar it was multiplied with is then the eigenvalue.

Thanks for the help Tom and TD.

Mv = (0,0,0,0)^T = 0(1,1,1,1)^T so the eigenvalue is zero. :biggrin:

That is correct :cool:

1. What is an eigenvector and why is it important in linear algebra?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a square matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the direction of the vector stays the same but its magnitude changes. Eigenvectors are important in linear algebra because they help us understand how a linear transformation affects different directions in space and can be used to simplify complex calculations.

2. How do you verify if a vector is an eigenvector of a matrix?

To verify if a vector is an eigenvector of a matrix, you need to check if the vector satisfies the eigenvalue equation, which states that multiplying the vector by the matrix results in the vector being multiplied by a scalar known as the eigenvalue. In other words, if v is an eigenvector of A, then Av = λv, where λ is the eigenvalue associated with v.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalue in the eigenvalue equation?

The eigenvalue in the eigenvalue equation represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by the matrix. It tells us how the linear transformation represented by the matrix affects the direction of the eigenvector. The magnitude of the eigenvalue also indicates the importance of the eigenvector in the transformation. Larger eigenvalues indicate more significant directions in the transformation.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvector?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvectors associated with different eigenvalues. In fact, for a square matrix of size n, there can be at most n linearly independent eigenvectors. However, it is also possible for a matrix to have fewer than n eigenvectors or even no eigenvectors at all.

5. How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues used in real-world applications?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues have numerous applications in fields like physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to understand the behavior of complex systems, such as in quantum mechanics, to find the optimal solutions in optimization problems, and in data analysis for tasks like dimensionality reduction and clustering. They also play a crucial role in image and signal processing techniques.