Verify the convergence or divergence of a power series

In summary, a power series was given with an unknown value of x. The ratio test was applied to determine the absolute convergence of the series. It was found that the series converges absolutely if |2x - 1| < 1, or equivalently, 0 < x < 1. The radius of convergence is 1/2 and the interval of convergence is (0,1).
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
##\sum_{k=0}^\infty (-1)^\left(k+1\right) \frac {k} {log(k+1)} (2x-1)^k##
Relevant Equations
convergence divergence tests
At the exam i had this power series

but couldn't solve it

i did apply the ratio test (lets put aside for the moment (2x-1)^k ) to the series ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {k} {log(k+1)}## in order to see to what this limit tends.

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {k(1+\frac 1 k)} {log k+log(1+\frac 2 k) } \frac {log k +log (1+\frac 1 k)}{k}=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}\frac {(1+\frac 1 k)} {log k+log(1+\frac 2 k) } \left(log k +log (1+\frac 1 k)\right)##

but from here i don't know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just an idea:

$$\log a - \log b =\log(a/b)$$

Math_QED said:
Just an idea:

$$\log a - \log b =\log(a/b)$$
🤔 i don't see where to apply it, there are just additions

DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty (-1)^\left(k+1\right) \frac {k} {log(k+1)} (2x-1)^k##
Relevant Equations:: convergence divergence tests

At the exam i had this power series

but couldn't solve it

i did apply the ratio test (lets put aside for the moment (2x-1)^k ) to the series ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {k} {log(k+1)}## in order to see to what this limit tends.

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {k(1+\frac 1 k)} {log k+log(1+\frac 2 k) } \frac {log k +log (1+\frac 1 k)}{k}=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}\frac {(1+\frac 1 k)} {log k+log(1+\frac 2 k) } \left(log k +log (1+\frac 1 k)\right)##

but from here i don't know how to proceed.
Surely the series converges for x = 1/2, so the problem boils down to determining whether the interval of convergence is just the point x = 1/2, or is some larger interval centered on 1/2.

Nit: Your limits should be on k, not n.

When you use the Ratio Test, you should end up with ##|2x - 1|\lim_{k \to \infty}\frac{(k + 1)\log(k + 1)}{k\log(k + 2)}##. I haven't worked this through, but I would see if L'Hopital's Rule could be of use here.

It is pretty easy to show that both ##\frac{k+1}{k}## and ##\frac{\log(k+2)}{\log(k+1)}## go to ##1##.

LCKurtz said:
It is pretty easy to show that both ##\frac{k+1}{k}## and ##\frac{\log(k+2)}{\log(k+1)}## go to ##1##.
:doh: you right, so the radius of convergence become (0,1)

DottZakapa said:
:doh: you right, so the radius of convergence become (0,1)
That would be the interval of convergence, not the radius. (I haven't worked the problem, so can't confirm that your result is correct.)
If your result is correct, the radius of convergence would be R = 1/2.

Don't forget to check the endpoints of the interval.

Mark44 said:
That would be the interval of convergence, not the radius. (I haven't worked the problem, so can't confirm that your result is correct.)

Don't forget to check the endpoints of the interval.

If
LCKurtz said:

Then R =1

Which implies

|2x-1|<1

No?

Edited to correct my error:
Right. So the radius of convergence is 1/2. Solve your inequality to get the interval of absolute convergence. Finally, if the problem asks for it, determine whether the series converges conditionally at each endpoint of the convergence interval.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Right. So the radius of convergence is 1.
Obviously a typo, he means 1/2.

LCKurtz said:
Obviously a typo, he means 1/2.
Thanks. I was confusing the length of the convergence interval with its radius.

Ok, i am lost... from where that 1/2 comes from if the limit goes to 1

DottZakapa said:
Yes, you are lost. You are getting confused on what you're trying to do. The first thing you were doing was to determine whether the series converged absolutely. To do that, you needed to show that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} < 1##, which occurs if |2x - 1| < 1, or equivalently, 0 < x < 1.

Post #6:
DottZakapa said:
so the radius of convergence become (0,1)
As already noted in post #7, this was the interval of convergence in which the series converged absolutely. The radius of convergence is the distance from the middle of the interval to either end.
Post #7:
Mark44 said:
Note that the ##(2x - 1)^k## factor in your series could also be written as ##2^k(x - 1/2)^k##. So your power series can be thought of as powers of x - 1/2.

DottZakapa said:
The ratio test gave you ##|2x - 1| < 1##. Factor out a ##2## and divide both sides by it giving ##|x - \frac 1 2| < \frac 1 2##. That tells you the center of the series is ##\frac 1 2## and the radius of convergence is ##\frac 1 2##.

Mark44 said:
Yes, you are lost. You are getting confused on what you're trying to do. The first thing you were doing was to determine whether the series converged absolutely. To do that, you needed to show that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} < 1##, which occurs if |2x - 1| < 1, or equivalently, 0 < x < 1.
ok but the limit is 1 so you cannot conclude anything

DottZakapa said:
You can conclude that the limit is less than 1 if |2x - 1| < 1. IOW, your series converges absolutely by the Ratio Test, if |2x - 1| < 1.

Last edited:
DottZakapa said:
No. The limit wasn't ##1##. It was ##|2x-1|\cdot 1##.

ok thanks :)

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑(anxn), where an is a sequence of constants and x is a variable.

How do you determine if a power series converges or diverges?

To determine the convergence or divergence of a power series, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests involve comparing the terms of the series to known convergent or divergent series.

What is the ratio test?

The ratio test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

Can a power series converge for some values of x and diverge for others?

Yes, a power series can converge for some values of x and diverge for others. This is known as the interval of convergence. The interval of convergence is the set of all values of x for which the series converges.

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series diverges. It is determined by taking the reciprocal of the limit of the ratio test and is used to define the interval of convergence.