1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify trig identity

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use a graphing calculator to test whether the following is an identity. If it is an identity, verify it. If it is not an identity, find a value of x for which both sides are defined but not equal.

[tex]\frac{cos(-x)}{sin(x)cot(-x)}[/tex]=1

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, plug in the left side for y1, right side for y2, obviously not an identity. The second part where it ask for a x value is where Im having trouble. I thought maybe simplify the left hand side and find a value for whatever that is that equals 1..

Cos(-x)/sin(X)(1/-tan(X))
    Cos(x)/sin(x)(-cosx/sinx)
    Cos(x)/-cos(x)
    Cos(x)/1-sin(x)
    Cos(x)-Sin(x)cos(x)
    Factor out to get
    1-sin(x)
    ok so now I have 1-sin(x)=1
    -sin(x)=0
    so find the value where -sin(x)=0??

The teachers answer is - Not an identity, x=[tex]\pi/4[/tex]

Im clueless about the second part I guess..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    so, you simplified it to the form of Cos(x)/-cos(x). This just equals -1. (your next step was incorrect, though... how did you get from -cos(x) to 1-sin(x)?)
    So it obviously is not equal to one. The problem statement asks for "a value of x for which both sides are defined but not equal". We have just shown that whenever the expression is defined, the equation doesn't hold. So you just need to find a value where the expression is defined.

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3
    Yeah your right should be -1, I'm not quite sure how I would go about finding a value where the expression is defined.

Anyone? That was my original question, Im not sure how to find that value.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. Dec 9, 2009 #4
    It's defined almost everywhere. Since cot(-x)=-cos(x)/sin(x), you need to make sure sin(x)=/=0.

Then you also need to make sure that the simplified expression, cos(x)/-cos(x) is defined, i.e. cos(x)=/=0.

That's all. There are plenty of angles for which this holds. pi/4 is one, but you can also have pi/3, 2*pi/3, etc..

6. Dec 9, 2009 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Stevo6754, since you're able to simplify the expression and make it [tex]\frac{cos(-x)}{sinxcot(-x)}=-1[/tex], this is telling you that for all defined values of x (they are undefined where the denominator=0) it is not equal to 1. So like grief has said, the values you're looking for are not just [itex]\pi/4[/itex] but any other value that is defined.

Oh and while [itex]cos^2x=1-sin^2x[/itex] this does not mean [itex]cosx=1-sinx[/itex] since, if you square both sides you'll get [itex]cos^2x=(1-sinx)^2=1-2sinx+sin^2x\neq 1-sin^2x[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook