1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verifying a taylor series

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For this problem I am to find the values of x in which the series converges. I know how to do that part of testing of convergence but constructing the summation part is what I am unsure about.

I am given the follwing:
    1 + 2x + [itex]\frac{3^2x^2}{2!}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{4^3x^3}{3!}[/itex]+ ...

2. Relevant equations
    I looked up online about the taylor series expansion for ex because I noticed it looked familiar and compared it with the series

The taylor series for ex is:
    1 + x + [itex]\frac{x^2}{2!}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{x^3}{3!}[/itex]+ ...=Ʃ[itex]^{∞}_{n=0}[/itex][itex]\frac{x^n}{n!}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did was pretty much just put [itex]\frac{(n+1)^nx^n}{n!}[/itex] and checked the terms to see if it works. It seems to work but I am just a bit unsure. I haven't worked with this stuff in a while so I just want to be sure if I did that part right.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    That looks correct. You should be able to see if it converges using the ratio test, just be careful with the limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook