Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Verifying an Identity

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to verify this:
    [tex]\frac{cos(2x)-cos(4x)}{sin(2x)+sin(4x)}=tanx[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

I reworked it every way I could think of, but it just won't work. I got desperate so I plugged it into some site and it said it was not a real identity, so I now I'm thinking maybe my teacher had a typo or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

look up the sum to product formulas for sine and cosine. They should help.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    I already know them, but I still can't figure it out.

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Try applying them.

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5
    If you don't want to help then don't comment please.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Am I correct to assume you did not apply them?

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7
    No, you are not. Before I posted here I used the sum/dif identities, pythagorean identities, and double angle formulas. Everything I did resulted in a dead end.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Is it possible that you can post your work using the sum to product identities?

10. Jan 7, 2010 #9

ehild

Homework Helper

You can factor out sin2x from the denominator. Resolve it further as 2 sinx cosx, and write the right side as sinx/cosx. Eliminate cosx (assuming it is not zero). Divide both sides by sinx, and rewrite 2(sinx)^2 as 1-cos(2x). You can see that the denominator is equal to the numerator.

ehild

11. Jan 8, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You didn't use the right ones then. You need the sum-to-product identities. If you use them, the answer pops out in like two lines.

Look for identities for [tex]cos a - cos b[/tex] and [tex]sin a + sin b[/tex].

If, in fact, you used those already and didn't get anywhere, post what you did because that's where the difficulty lies.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook