1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Verifying an Identity

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to verify this:
    [tex]\frac{cos(2x)-cos(4x)}{sin(2x)+sin(4x)}=tanx[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

I reworked it every way I could think of, but it just won't work. I got desperate so I plugged it into some site and it said it was not a real identity, so I now I'm thinking maybe my teacher had a typo or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

look up the sum to product formulas for sine and cosine. They should help.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    I already know them, but I still can't figure it out.

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Try applying them.

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5
    If you don't want to help then don't comment please.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Am I correct to assume you did not apply them?

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7
    No, you are not. Before I posted here I used the sum/dif identities, pythagorean identities, and double angle formulas. Everything I did resulted in a dead end.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Is it possible that you can post your work using the sum to product identities?

10. Jan 7, 2010 #9

ehild

Homework Helper

You can factor out sin2x from the denominator. Resolve it further as 2 sinx cosx, and write the right side as sinx/cosx. Eliminate cosx (assuming it is not zero). Divide both sides by sinx, and rewrite 2(sinx)^2 as 1-cos(2x). You can see that the denominator is equal to the numerator.

ehild

11. Jan 8, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You didn't use the right ones then. You need the sum-to-product identities. If you use them, the answer pops out in like two lines.

Look for identities for [tex]cos a - cos b[/tex] and [tex]sin a + sin b[/tex].

If, in fact, you used those already and didn't get anywhere, post what you did because that's where the difficulty lies.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook