1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Verifying Gauss' Law

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the given flux density: [tex]\vec{D}[/tex]=(2y2+z)[tex]\widehat{x}[/tex]+(4xy)[tex]\widehat{y}[/tex]^+(xz)[tex]\widehat{z}[/tex]
    a)Determine the charge density.
    b)Find the total charge enclosed if the surface is 0<x<1, 0<y<1, 0<z<1 (unit cube)
    c)Confirm Gauss’s law by finding the net flux through the surface of the volume.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used divergence to find the [tex]\rho[/tex]v=5x

To find Qenc I integrated [tex]\int\int\int[/tex]5xdxdydz and came up with
    Qenc=5/2 C

The last step I know is to verify that [tex]\oint[/tex][tex]\vec{D}[/tex]dS=Qenc.

From what I gather since the divergence only has an x-component we will integrate only the x-component over the dxdydz, but this gives me 7/2. I'm guessing both are incorrect, but obviously at least one of them is.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

The divergence is a scalar, and you have to integrate the flux density for all sides of the cube. Remember that the surface element dS is a vector normal to the surface.

ehild

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the response and the insight.

So for the top of said cube I would integrate the z-hat coefficient by dydx?
    the bottom by z-hat (-dydx)
    the right by y-hat (dxdz)
    left by y-hat(-dxdz)
    front by x-hat(dydz)
    and back x-hat(-dydz)...

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

It looks OK.

ehild

6. Mar 16, 2010 #5
    I apologize for not saying thanks again. I do find this site a valuable resource in attempting to learn this material instead of just blindly using equations and hoping that things work out.

7. Mar 16, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

You are welcome.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook