1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verifying two functions

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to solve the textbook questions, but the steps are not shown--any suggestions would be appreciated!:

1) Verify that x(t) = Asin (wt) + B cos(wt), where w = (k/m)1/2 is a solution to Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator.

2) Verify that x(t) = Csin(wt + Φ) is a solution to Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator.

2. Relevant equations
    Given above...

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) I only have a faint idea, but don't know where to progress.....

2) I think I am going in a right direction, but don't know if it is of "ENOUGH" verification:

sin(wt +Φ) = sin(wt)cosΦ + cos(wt)sinΦ, which I put into the x(t) function:
    x(t) = Csin(wt)cosΦ + Ccos(wt)sinΦ
    = c1sin(wt) + c2cos(wt)

∴ c1= CcosΦ
    c2= CsinΦ

...do I need further proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1) The idea is that you fill in x(t) in "Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator" . The equation is probably linear in x, so you can do the terms one by one and you can forget the constants A and B

Same goes for 2). What you do in your attempt for 2) is convert a solution of type 2) into one of type 1. So once you've done 1) properly, you are also done with 2).

You don't say, but I suppose in your context, Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator is something like ##m\ddot x + k x = 0## ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Oct 30, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and that's the equation that should have been posted as "relevant equations".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted