Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verilog help

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    I have a clock module that divides a 500mhz signal to a 200hz signal, and another module that is suppose to use the 200hz clk signal to drive 4 multiplexed 7segment display. My question is how do I input the clock module signal into the 7segment display module?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    What is the "another module" doing? Is it using the 200hz to cycle the 4 seg's?

If so i'd use a flip flop as a 2 output counter (using Q and clk). Slight risk of race hazards but affordable at these frequencies.

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

david90,

The clock enters the module like any other signal. It should be declared as an input. If you use the signal as the argument in an always block (i.e. always(@posedge clk)), the synthesizer will know it's a clock. You do not have to do anything special to declare that an input signal is a clock; it's a clock if you use it as a clock.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?