Vertex of a Function: -3(x-2)^2-3

In summary, the vertex of the graph of the given function f(x) = -3(x-2)^2-3 is (2,-3) because at x=2, the function reaches its maximum value. The formula for the vertex involves (x-h) instead of (x+h) because the vertex is the point where the function is at its highest or lowest, and for the given function, the highest point is at x=2.
Drakkith
Mentor
I have the following function and I'm supposed to find the vertex of its graph.

f(x)=-3(x-2)2-3

Why is the vertex (2,-3) instead of (-2,-3)?

Edit: Bah, nevermind. I just realized the formula has (x-h) in it, not (x+h) in it...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you understand why the formula for vertex involves x- h, not x+ h?

The crucial point is that if x= 2, (x- 2) will be 0 so that f(2)= -3. If x is any other number (including -2) x- 2 will NOT be 0 so that, because the square of any non-zero number is positive, -3(x-2)^2 will be negative and f(x)= -3(x- 2)^2- 3 will be lower than three. (2, -3) is the highest point on the graph.

What is the vertex of the function -3(x-2)^2-3?

The vertex of the function is the point where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value. In this case, the vertex is (-2, -3) since the function is in the form y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h, k) represents the coordinates of the vertex.

How do I find the vertex of a function in general?

To find the vertex of a function in general, you can use the formula h = -b/2a and plug in the values of a, b, and c from the standard form of the quadratic equation, ax^2 + bx + c. Once you have h, you can find k by plugging in the value of h into the original function.

What is the significance of the vertex in a function?

The vertex is significant because it represents the turning point of the function. This means that the slope of the function changes at the vertex, and it is where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value.

Can the vertex of a function be a negative value?

Yes, the vertex can have negative values for both x and y coordinates. This depends on the shape of the graph and the values of a, b, and c in the quadratic equation.

How does changing the value of "a" affect the vertex of a function?

The value of "a" affects the steepness of the parabola, which in turn affects the location of the vertex. A larger value of "a" makes the parabola narrower, resulting in a vertex that is closer to the y-axis. Conversely, a smaller value of "a" makes the parabola wider, resulting in a vertex that is farther from the y-axis.