Finding the Vertex of a Parabola: y = (x + 2)^2 - 3

So what is the minimum value of (x+2)^{2}?In summary, the vertex of the parabola y = (x + 2)^2 - 3 is at the point (-2, -3), and the minimum value of the function is -3. To find the vertex, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, and to find the minimum value, you can set the expression inside the parentheses equal to 0.
Kristinanne

Homework Statement

Identify the vertex of the parabola y = (x + 2)2 – 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would love to have an attempt but I have gone through my book and notes and I'm still confused on how to do this. If i could see an example even so i can work through all of them would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, there must be a typo in your post, because that equation does not describe a parabola, but rather a straight line. (unless you mean [itex]y=(x+2)^2-3[/itex])

If you are given the equation of a parabola in the form: y=A(x-B)^2+C, you should know that its vertex is at x=B and y=C... so the vertex of your parabola is ___?

Sorry yes. I forgot to put that to the power. So the vertex woulc be (B, C)

Yes, but what are the values of B and C for your parabola?

(2,3)

are you sure?...be careful with your minus signs :wink:

That's the part I was unsure about. It has been 10 years since I've done any of this and can't seem to remember a single thing. If it -3 in the problem. would that make it a negative 3?

Kristinanne said:
That's the part I was unsure about. It has been 10 years since I've done any of this and can't seem to remember a single thing. If it -3 in the problem. would that make it a negative 3?

Hi Kristinanne! :smile:

If you need to check that you have the right formula,

remember that the vertex will be where y is a minimum,

and (without calculus), (x + 2)2 – 3 is a minimum when … ? :wink:

Yeah I went back through it and realized that they were both negative.

Without derivation you could find the vertex by putting [tex]x=\frac{-b}{2a}[/tex] in the original function y, so that you got a point [tex](\frac{-b}{2a},y)[/tex] which the vertex passes through. You should also find the y intercept (0,c) and then you could draw curve "upwards" or "downwards" depending of a.

Take another look at tiny-tim's post. This would have to be (in my opinion) the best way to approach the problem if you have trouble remembering the formulas.

The vertex of the parabola is its maximum or minimum, depending on whether it curves upwards or downwards. If you are given:

[tex]y=(x+2)^{2}-3[/tex]

What is (in this case) the minimum value y can have, and its corresponding x value will give you the vertex.

Hint: [tex]m^{2}\geq 0[/tex], therefore the minimum value m can have so it equals 0 is 0.

What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the curve reaches its highest or lowest point. It is also the point where the parabola changes direction from concave up to concave down or vice versa.

How is the vertex of a parabola calculated?

The vertex of a parabola can be calculated using the formula (-b/2a, f(-b/2a)), where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in standard form (ax² + bx + c) and f(x) is the corresponding y-value.

What does the vertex represent in a parabola?

The vertex represents the maximum or minimum point of a parabola and can also be thought of as the "turning point" of the curve. It is the point where the slope of the parabola is equal to zero.

What is the significance of the vertex in real-world applications?

The vertex of a parabola can be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a given situation, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost in business applications. It can also be used to find the optimal solution in optimization problems.

How does the vertex change when the coefficients of a parabola are altered?

The vertex of a parabola will shift horizontally and/or vertically when the coefficients a and b are changed. The value of c does not affect the position of the vertex, but it can shift the entire parabola up or down. Additionally, the sign of the coefficient a determines the direction of the parabola (upward or downward) and therefore the position of the vertex.