How Do You Calculate the Vertical Acceleration of a Unrolling Disk?

In summary: So now we have:mg - T = ma...( i )mg - T = ma...( ii )mg - T = m*g - 1/2 ma...( iii )In summary, the homework statement is that a solid uniform disk unrolls from a string which is wrapped around it. If tension and weight are the only important forces, find the vertical acceleration of the disk in terms of gravity.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A solid uniform disk unrolls from a string which is wrapped around it. If tension and weight are the only important forces, find the vertical acceleration of the disk in terms of gravity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mg - T = ma

a = mg - T /m

I know it's not this simple, but I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The tension creates a torque on the disc.

So far I have α = 2 * Tension force / mass*radius. I don't understand if the answer is supposed to be in translational or rotational, and I don't know how to get the tension force if the disk is accelerating at an unknown rate.

veronicak5678 said:
So far I have α = 2 * Tension force / mass*radius. I don't understand if the answer is supposed to be in translational or rotational, and I don't know how to get the tension force if the disk is accelerating at an unknown rate.

the answer is supposed to be translational, since it does not say angular acc.
also, if you consider the axis of rotation through the centre of mass, and equate torque to
I*[angular acc], using a kinematical constraint, you can gat another equation containing tension. Hope i helped...

idid equate torque to I (angular)

torque tension = I / alpha

rearranged to find alpha

alpha = tension * 2 / m*r

I don't know what you mean by a kinematical constraint. Could you please tell me how I can find the tension to solve this equation?

well, a kinematical constraint is simply a relation between two kinematical variable, which remains true irrespective of their value. in this particular case,
[linear acc] = [radius of disk]* [angular acceleration]

Oh! I've never seen that. But after plugging 2f/mr into that, I end up with acc = 2*f / m. How can I use that to answer the question " vertical acceleration in terms of g?"

since you have solved the problem, i guess i will give the solution:

mg - T = ma...( i )

T*r = [0.5*mr^2][alpha]...( ii )

using the kinematical constraint,

a = r*[alpha]...( iii )

so you have three equations three unknowns, just don't substitute the value of g here, to get the answer in terms of g :)

I still don't understand...

I just keep manipulating this in circles. I have a = 2 (g -a). Why did I just find angular velocity?

angular velocity, energy conservation need not be applied here. you are asked to find out the acceleration, so i say stick to force dynamics...:wink:

OK. I guess I haven't understood what you've been saying. Starting over, with just force dynamics, I found
mg - T = ma
a = mg - T /m
This was my first post.

Just because we're using force and dynamics doesn't mean that we can ignore rotational motion. Let's return to these three equations:
aniketp said:
mg - T = ma...( i )

T*r = [0.5*mr^2][alpha]...( ii )

a = r*[alpha]...( iii )
Since we don't want the solution in terms of the angular acceleration, the first thing to do is eliminate [alpha]. Can you do this?

Use the second and third equations

T*r = 1/2 m*r^2 (a/r)

T = 1/2 m a
a = 2T/m

veronicak5678 said:
T*r = 1/2 m*r^2 (a/r)

T = 1/2 m a
Good :approve:.

So now can you use this to eliminate T from equation (i) and then solve for a?

m*g - 1/2 ma = ma
g - a/2 = 2a
2g = a

1. What is vertical acceleration?

Vertical acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes in the vertical direction. It is commonly denoted as "a" in physics equations and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is vertical acceleration calculated?

To calculate vertical acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity (v₀), final velocity (v), and time (t) of an object's motion. The formula for vertical acceleration is: a = (v - v₀)/t. You can also use the formula a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time.

3. What causes vertical acceleration?

Vertical acceleration is caused by the force of gravity, which pulls objects towards the center of the Earth at a constant rate of 9.8 m/s². Other factors that can affect vertical acceleration include air resistance and the object's mass and shape.

4. How does vertical acceleration affect an object's motion?

Vertical acceleration determines the rate at which an object's velocity changes in the up or down direction. If an object is accelerating upwards, its velocity will increase. If an object is accelerating downwards, its velocity will decrease. If the object is not accelerating, its velocity will remain constant.

5. How is vertical acceleration different from horizontal acceleration?

Vertical acceleration and horizontal acceleration are two different types of acceleration. Vertical acceleration affects an object's motion in the up or down direction, while horizontal acceleration affects an object's motion in the left or right direction. In most cases, vertical acceleration is caused by gravity, while horizontal acceleration is caused by other forces such as friction or propulsion.