Maximizing Tension in Vertical Circular Motion with Work-Energy Theorem

In summary, a child swinging a ball on a string in a vertical circle with a mass of 0.065 kg and a string radius of 1.2 m measures a speed of 8.7 m/s halfway up the circle. To find the maximum tension in the string, the work-energy theorem can be applied by calculating the kinetic and potential energy at that point and adding them together to find the total energy. The velocity at that point can then be found by subtracting off the potential energy and using F=mv^2/R to calculate the tension. The correct answer should also include the weight of the object in the calculation.
Juntao
A child is playing with a ball on a string. The ball has mass 0.065 kg, the string has radius 1.2 m and assume that the string is massless. The child swings the ball on a string in a vertical circle. Halfway up the circle the speed of the ball is measured to be 8.7 m/s. What is the maximum tension in the string?

I know that a=V^2/R

F=MV^2/R

And since I'm working in the work-energy chapter this week, I think maybe I could apply the work energy theorem to this problem, but not sure how or even how to start this problem.

So help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be able to calculate the velocity at each point. In order to use F= ma= mV2/R. Try using "conservation" of energy. You know the velocity "halfway up the circle" so you can calculate the kinetic energy. Calculate the potential energy since this is a vertical circle. Add to find the total energy. Subtracting off the potential energy at every other point let's you find the kinetic energy and so the velocity (squared) at each point.

Um, what?
Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean by this "Subtracting off the potential energy at every other point let's you find the kinetic energy and so the velocity (squared) at each point."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Anyhow, can someone check this work logic please?

I figured out the kinetic energy at that point,
Ke=1/5*m*v^2
= .5*.065kg*(8.7m/s)^2
= 2.46J

PE= m*g*h=> .065kg*9.8*1.2m =.765 J.

Total energy =3.225J.

So now I need velocity.
3.225J=.5*m*v^2
v=9.96 m/s

Now I know that F=mv^2/R
so F=.065kg*(9.96)^2/1.2m =>5.37N

So my max force or Tension rather is going to be 5.37N. Does that look right guys?

Last edited:
hey m8, do you mean the circle is spinnning horizontally over his head or vertically next to him? i found out horizontally i think, but if its vertically spinning next to him let me know. i got like 4.47 Newtons, but that's if the ball is spinning above his head horizontally. lots of redundency in my reply eh?

Last edited:
Kylemadigan: did you notice that the title of this thread was "Vertical Circular Motion help"? Also the original post said "The child swings the ball on a string in a vertical circle. "

Juntao: You did exactly what I said: except that you reasoned correctly that the greatest speed will be where the potential energy is 0- so you "subtracted off" 0! My point about "velocity (squared)" was that you once you got "3.225J=.5*m*v^2" you didn't really need to take the square root to get v: Since the formula for centripetal force also uses mv^2, you only need mv^2= 3.225/(.5)= 6.45.

Then F= mv^2/r= 6.45/1.2= 5.375 N just as you got.

For some reason, the answer is not working out with the computer. Hmm...maybe the circle isn't uniform?

It's probably not working because at the position the maximum tension occurs, the tension of the string must support the centripetal force AND the weight of the object. Try adding the weight of the object to your answer.

1. What is vertical circular motion?

Vertical circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path while also moving up and down in a vertical direction. This type of motion is commonly seen in roller coasters and other amusement park rides.

2. What is the centripetal force in vertical circular motion?

The centripetal force in vertical circular motion is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of vertical circular motion, this force is a combination of the force of gravity and the normal force.

3. How is the speed of an object in vertical circular motion calculated?

The speed of an object in vertical circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the relationship between radius and speed in vertical circular motion?

In vertical circular motion, there is an inverse relationship between the radius of the circular path and the speed of the object. This means that as the radius increases, the speed decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the weight of an object affect its motion in vertical circular motion?

The weight of an object does not affect its motion in vertical circular motion, as long as the object remains in contact with the circular path. This is because the normal force from the surface of the path will counteract the force of gravity, allowing the object to continue moving in a circular path.