1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical displacement

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
    I have my physics exams on Friday so was just revising some of the stuff I covered earlier in the year. I got this question:

"A ball is thrown vertically upwards with a speed 10ms^-1 from a point 2m above horizontal ground. Calculate the length of time for which the ball is 3m or more above the ground."

I did end up getting the correct answer of 1.83s, but I took an extremely long-winded route. I calculated the total time the ball would be in flight, then subtracted the initial part under 3m and the final part under 3m, which I calculated using the simple equations of motion.

I seem to remember earlier on in the year using a much easier and quicker method to get the answer, but I have forgotten it, and can't seem to find it in my notes. How would you go about solving this question?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2
    [tex] y = y_{0} + v_{y0}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

is the general kinematic equation you want to use,
    where in your case:

solve the resulting quadratic equation for t

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?