Vertical Force Value Needed

In summary: So, you solve for P by finding the value of P that satisfies the equation. This is just like solving a system of linear equations in terms of a set of unknowns.
EventingLyn

Homework Statement

A block of mass 7 kg is pushed against a wall by force P. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall is 0.42. Determine an expression for the force P as a function of θ such that the block will not slide up the wall or fall down the wall.
a.) Draw a free-body diagram for this problem
b.) Determine the force value needed if θ = 13°
c.) What is the minimum force required such that the block will remain stationary, and at what angle should this minimum force be applied?

Homework Equations

mg - f = Psinθ
n = Pcosθ
f = μscosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly wasn't sure where to start out since we haven't done any vertical force problems in class (I'm in a summer mini term, so my teacher tends to just rush through everything). So far, this is what I have, but I know that I am probably completely off.

After doing my FBD, I decided that I could do part C to find the minimum force needed, but I just kept the angle at 13°, so I'm not sure I did that correctly, either.

mg - μscosθ = Psinθ
P(sinθ + μscosθ) = mg
P = mg / sinθ + μscosθ
P = 7(9.81) / sin13° + (.42)(cos13°)
P = 108.28 NThank you so much for helping! All of us in the class are just drowning right now.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
EventingLyn said:
but I just kept the angle at 13°,
Consequently you have found the answer to part b, at least on the assumption that the force direction is above the horizontal.
Along the way, there are a couple of typos. You missed a P in the first equation and you should use parentheses to make the order of operations right.
The very first part of the question is to find expressions in terms of a general theta for bounds on P such that the block will neither slide up nor slide down. How does that affect your general equation (before you plugged in 13 degrees)?

Part c requires you to find the least P over all possible angles.

What is the definition of "Vertical Force Value Needed"?

Vertical Force Value Needed refers to the amount of force required to lift an object vertically against the force of gravity.

What factors affect the Vertical Force Value Needed?

The Vertical Force Value Needed is affected by the mass and weight of the object being lifted, as well as the strength of the gravitational force in that particular location.

How is the Vertical Force Value Needed calculated?

The Vertical Force Value Needed is calculated using the formula F = m x g, where F is the force needed, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the unit of measurement for Vertical Force Value Needed?

The unit of measurement for Vertical Force Value Needed is Newtons (N).

Why is it important to know the Vertical Force Value Needed?

Knowing the Vertical Force Value Needed is important for ensuring that the correct amount of force is applied when lifting an object. This helps to prevent injuries and damage to the object being lifted.