How Do Vertical Heat Pipes Work in Geothermal and Solar Applications?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a vertical heat pipe for a geothermal heat/power production application. The person asks for resources on this topic and receives suggestions such as researching solar water heaters and using a giant "U" pipe with butane to drive a generator. They also mention other methods such as solar heating tubes and using distilled water under a vacuum.
Avis
Hey guys,

For my degree project this year I am designing a Vertical heat pipe to be used in a geothermal heat/power production application. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good resources about this topic.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A vertical heat pipe, eh?

A good starting point might be solar water heaters, they can operate upright, and they have "U" tubes in them with a chemical or gas that absorbs heat, and transfers the heat to a header with water in it.

An interesting thing, although I don't know how useful, is that I remember doing a bunch of reading way back, and looking at putting a giant "U" pipe down a well, and the system would run on butane. The liquid butane would get pumped down the pipe, rise in temperature, expand, and at the other end drive some type of generator.
After that, it would flow into a big heat exchanger, liquefy, and get pumped back down.
This was a design to work when it's -30 out though haha.

And sorry, forgot to say there are also solar heating tubes that do not have a "u" tube, but rely solely on the chemical / gas condensing on the bulb on the header.

This is also how I believe CPU's in laptops cool, only with a special substance that does not rely on gravity.

I think there are also some solar devices that use simply distilled water under a severe vacuum so that it boils really easy, using the vapour to transfer heat to the top.

1. What is a vertical heat pipe design?

A vertical heat pipe design is a type of heat pipe that is designed to transfer heat vertically, from a heat source located at one end to a heat sink located at the other end. It consists of a sealed tube containing a small amount of working fluid, such as water or ammonia, which evaporates at the heat source and condenses at the heat sink, transferring heat in the process.

2. What are the advantages of using a vertical heat pipe design?

There are several advantages to using a vertical heat pipe design. These include high heat transfer rates, low thermal resistance, and the ability to transfer heat over long distances without the need for additional pumps or fans. Additionally, vertical heat pipes have no moving parts, making them low maintenance and reliable.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a vertical heat pipe?

When designing a vertical heat pipe, several factors should be taken into consideration, including the operating temperature range, the length and diameter of the pipe, the type of working fluid, and the orientation of the pipe relative to gravity. The design must also account for potential issues such as capillary limits, condensation and evaporation rates, and heat losses.

4. Can vertical heat pipes be used in different applications?

Yes, vertical heat pipes can be used in a wide range of applications, including cooling electronic devices, heat recovery in power plants, and thermal management systems for spacecraft. They are also commonly used in solar thermal systems, where they transfer heat from solar collectors to a storage tank.

5. What are the limitations of vertical heat pipes?

While vertical heat pipes have many advantages, they also have some limitations. These include the potential for fluid leakage, the requirement for a minimum temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink, and the possibility of dry-out if the heat load is too high. Additionally, the design and manufacturing of heat pipes can be complex and costly.