Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vertical interferometer

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    The original interferometer experiments -- Michelson-Morley, Miller, etc. -- were all done parallel to the Earth's surface. Have any been done vertically?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Yes, although some of these experiments have found only that it is difficult to build a structure that can be rotated from vertical to horizontal and back again without it distorting by even a few nanometers under its own weight.

If you're looking for evidence that the speed of light doesn't change when moving parallel to or perpendicular to the local gravitational field there are other ways of doing that. Consider that a M-M device that is horizontal on the surface of the earth is still changing its orientation relative to the gravitational fields of the sun and moon; although small these fields are detectable. And of course these days every GPS receiver on the surface of the earth is validating the light-speed assumption vertically as well as horizontally every moment it's operating.

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3
    Thanks. I appreciate the problem. The original interferometers were floated in tanks of mercury, which can hardly be upended! I am interested in the idea of gravity as an aether inflow, and am looking for something to demonstrate or refute this in the case of the Earth's gravity. Cheers.

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Do you have a reference for this idea?

6. Jan 15, 2016 #5
  7. Jan 15, 2016 #6

Nugatory

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook