Light & Gravity: Momentum Exchange Examined

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time reversal symmetry and its relation to the exchange of momentum between a mass and a light beam. It is concluded that no momentum exchange occurs before the light beam reaches the mass, as the force of gravity travels at the speed of light.
jartsa
Let's say a light beam is sent towards a planet from far away. On the surface of the planet no measurement can ever tell that the light beam is approaching, until the light beam has arrived, because information can not travel faster than the light beam.

Now at the moment when the light beam is 10 m above the planet surface, let's magically reverse all velocities. Now the light beam is traveling upwards, and nothing below 10 m has any idea that the light beam is there. Particularly instruments that measure gravitational pull do not measure any pull from the light beam.

So, is the following conclusion correct: No momentum exchange happens between a mass and a light beam that moves towards the mass or away from the mass?

Note: When all velocities were magically reversed, I was using "time reversal symmetry law", or what ever the correct term for that kind of thing is. I hope I used it correctly. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
To reverse the light beam, it would have to reflect. It won't happen magically. Momentum will be transferred to the mirror, which will be transferred to the Earth.

Time reverse symmetry does not allow you to magically violate conservation of momentum. It means that if there is a scenario obeying the laws of GR which ends with a beam of light going vertically down there is also a different scenario that starts with a beam of light going up and that scenario also obeys the laws of GR. momentum is conserved in each scenario, and they are separate scenarios.

Time reversal symmetry just goes over my head. So I'll just ask this question:

Let's say a light beam is sent towards a planet from far away. On the surface of the planet no measurement can ever tell that the light beam is approaching, until the light beam has arrived, because information can not travel faster than the light beam.

The light beam is traveling downwards, and nothing below it has any idea that the light beam is there. Particularly instruments that measure gravitational pull do not measure any pull from the light beam.

So, is the following conclusion correct: No momentum exchange happens between a mass and a light beam that moves towards the mass?

jartsa said:
Time reversal symmetry just goes over my head. So I'll just ask this question:

The light beam is traveling downwards, and nothing below it has any idea that the light beam is there. Particularly instruments that measure gravitational pull do not measure any pull from the light beam.

So, is the following conclusion correct: No momentum exchange happens between a mass and a light beam that moves towards the mass?

Why do you have to go through all this gymnastics? Why can't you just ask "If I shoot a photon at you, can you tell that a photon is coming BEFORE it hits you?"

Isn't this the same thing?

Zz.

It might be helpful if you remember that the force of gravity travels at the speed of light.

jartsa said:
is the following conclusion correct: No momentum exchange happens between a mass and a light beam that moves towards the mass?

If you mean, no momentum exchange happens before the light beam reaches the mass, yes, that's correct. The momentum exchange happens when the light beam reaches the mass. Why would you expect otherwise?

1. What is the relationship between light and gravity?

The relationship between light and gravity is complex and is still being studied by scientists. However, one important concept is the idea of momentum exchange, which suggests that light can transfer momentum to objects through the force of gravity.

2. How does light interact with gravity?

Light waves are affected by the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars, which can bend the path of the light. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the massive objects.

3. Can light be affected by the gravity of smaller objects?

Yes, even smaller objects, such as asteroids or comets, can have a gravitational pull that can affect the path of light. However, the effect is much smaller compared to the gravitational pull of larger objects, like planets or stars.

4. How does the speed of light interact with gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, but can be affected by the presence of gravity. The stronger the gravitational pull, the slower light will travel through that region of space.

5. Can light be used to study gravity?

Yes, light has been an important tool for scientists studying gravity. By observing how light waves are affected by the gravitational pull of objects, scientists can gather information about the distribution of mass and the shape of spacetime in the universe.