Vertical motion of a bullet

In summary: I usually write down all units, I was just in hurry when I was making a thread. However, I will be more careful to write units everytime in the future.
Glenboro

Homework Statement

A bullet is shot vertically into the air at a speed of 512 m/s.

1) To what maximum height does the bullet go?

2) How much time passes before the bullet stops rising?

3) What is the velocity of the bullet after 60.0 s?[/B]

Homework Equations

1) V2²=V1²+2ad
2) a= (V2-V1)/Δt
3) V2=V1+aΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

1)512^2 = 0^2 + (2)(9.8)(d)
262144 = (19.6)d
262144/19.6 = d
D = 13374. 694m (My teachers says it has too many digit, so should I change to 1.33 X 10^4m ?)

2) T= (0 m/s - 512m/s)/9.8 m/s^2
T = 52.24 s

3) Vf = 512 m/s + (-9.8m/s^2)(60)
Vf = 512 - 588
V2 = 76 m/s^2 downward or opposition direction ( my teacher mentioned about significant digits, so should answer must written as 76.0 m/s^2 ?)

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Glenboro said:
1)512^2 = 0^2 + (2)(9.8)(d)
262144 = (19.6)d
262144/19.6 = d
D = 13374. 694m (My teachers says it has too many digit, so should I change to 1.33 X 10^4m ?)

What figures in the original equation are not exactly known? I count two.

2) T= (0 m/s - 512m/s)/9.8 m/s^2
T = 52.24 s
That's four significant figures in the result. Again, I count two inputs that are not precisely known.

Vf = 512 - 588
V2 = 76 m/s^2 downward or opposition direction ( my teacher mentioned about significant digits, so should answer must written as 76.0 m/s^2 ?)
This time the significant figures calculation is trickier. You need to take it step by step. What is the rule for significant figures when adding or subtracting?

In part three, the measurement for the gravitational constant is 9.8 using two significant digits. See what you get when you incorporate that.

Addem said:
In part three, the measurement for the gravitational constant is 9.8 using two significant digits. See what you get when you incorporate that.
I might be incorrect but answer for part 3 should be v2 = 76.0 m/s^2 since it is using two significant digits :)

Glenboro said:
I might be incorrect but answer for part 3 should be v2 = 76.0 m/s^2 since it is using two significant digits :)
How did you conclude that the answer should have two significant digits? It should not. How do you figure that 76.0 m/s2 has two significant digits? It does not.

jbriggs444 said:
How did you conclude that the answer should have two significant digits? It should not. How do you figure that 76.0 m/s2 has two significant digits? It does not.
I will spend about an hour studying about significant digits, and will come back in hour and reply to you.

If you take ##g = 9.8 ms^{-2}## then that means it could be anywhere between ##9.75 ms^{-2}## and ##9.85 ms^{-2}##. You have the same with ##v## between ##511.5 ms^{-1}## and ##512.5 ms^{-1}##

If you repeat the calculation with those two figures, it will give you an idea of how accurate your answer is. Try maximum ##v## with minimum ##g## and vice versa.

This should show you why you have to cut down the number of digits.

Likes jbriggs444
PeroK said:
If you take ##g = 9.8 ms^{-2}## then that means it could be anywhere between ##9.75 ms^{-2}## and ##9.85 ms^{-2}##. You have the same with ##v## between ##511.5 ms^{-1}## and ##512.5 ms^{-1}##

If you repeat the calculation with those two figures, it will give you an idea of how accurate your answer is. Try maximum ##v## with minimum ##g## and vice versa.

This should show you why you have to cut down the number of digits.
Thank you for clear explanation, I got an idea how all these digits should working. Thank you

Glenboro said:

Homework Statement

A bullet is shot vertically into the air at a speed of 512 m/s.

1) To what maximum height does the bullet go?

2) How much time passes before the bullet stops rising?

3) What is the velocity of the bullet after 60.0 s?[/B]

Vf = 512 - 588

What are the units of velocity? Units are just as important as quibbling over significant figures.

Likes PeroK
SteamKing said:
What are the units of velocity? Units are just as important as quibbling over significant figures.
I usually write down all units, I was just in hurry when I was making a thread. However, I will be more careful to write units everytime

1. What factors affect the vertical motion of a bullet?

The main factors that affect the vertical motion of a bullet are gravity, air resistance, and initial velocity. Gravity pulls the bullet downward, while air resistance slows it down. The initial velocity, or speed at which the bullet is fired, also plays a role in its vertical motion.

2. How does the angle of the gun affect the vertical motion of a bullet?

The angle at which the gun is fired can greatly impact the vertical motion of a bullet. If the gun is fired at a 90 degree angle, the bullet will experience the full force of gravity and fall straight down. However, if the gun is fired at an angle, the bullet will follow a curved path due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities.

3. How does the weight of the bullet affect its vertical motion?

The weight of a bullet can affect its vertical motion in a few ways. A heavier bullet will typically have a higher initial velocity, making it more resistant to air resistance and allowing it to travel farther horizontally. However, a heavier bullet may also be more affected by gravity and drop faster than a lighter bullet.

4. Why does a bullet eventually fall to the ground?

A bullet falls to the ground due to the force of gravity. As the bullet travels through the air, gravity pulls it downward, causing it to gradually lose its vertical velocity. Eventually, the bullet's vertical velocity will reach 0 and it will fall to the ground.

5. Can a bullet travel in a perfectly straight vertical path?

No, a bullet cannot travel in a perfectly straight vertical path due to the effects of air resistance and gravity. These forces act on the bullet and cause it to follow a curved path, even if it is fired at a 90 degree angle. The only way for a bullet to travel in a straight vertical path would be in a vacuum with no air resistance or gravity present.