Solving Newton's 2nd Law for Particle Falling in Medium

In summary, adding a constant to the time side of an equation of motion is a common way of solving for it dimensionally.
TRB8985
Homework Statement
Find the displacement and velocity of a particle undergoing vertical motion in a medium having a retarding force proportional to the velocity.
Relevant Equations
m*dv/dt = -mg - kmv
Good afternoon,

I have a question regarding this derivation that I'm covering in Thornton & Marion's "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems". In it, we're covering the most basic equation of motion for a particle falling in a medium.

I understand the process of starting with Newton's 2nd Law, using separation of variables, and ultimately solving for the velocity. The step right before my level of confusion was this one:

$$ -\int dt= \int \frac{dv}{kv+g}$$

This is what I wrote for the following step:

$$ -kt = ln(kv+g) + kc $$

But apparently, that's wrong. The constant c (with the k coefficient) should have been added on the left side of the time integral, like this:

$$ -kt + kc = ln(kv+g) $$

My question is: Why was the constant added on the time side? I'm used to solving differential equations where the constant is normally added on the x(t) or v(t) side of the equals sign, where the constant represents the initial amount of whatever is involved. There's another source I found online that does this same derivation that did things the same way, so there must be something fundamental involved there.Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter, since it's just an as of yet undetermined constant of integration. You could just as easily transpose the ##kc## term to the other side of the equation, and define a new constant ##d := -c## so that now you have ##kd## on the RHS. You could also just change the ##kc## to another single arbitrary constant, say ##A := kc##.

The point is that it's just an additive constant and it doesn't matter what you do with it, at least until you substitute in some boundary conditions that allow you to fix its value for certain.

Likes JD_PM and vanhees71
Another trick in such cases of ODE's that can be solved by the "separation of variables" is to use definite integrals. The advantage is that you have the integration constants fixed such that the initial-value problem is automatically solved and that you get dimensionally sensible equations, because one should be very careful with a solution, where a dimensionful quantity occurs as the argument in a log function as in this example!

Likes JD_PM and etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
Another trick in such cases of ODE's that can be solved by the "separation of variables" is to use definite integrals. The advantage is that you have the integration constants fixed such that the initial-value problem is automatically solved and that you get dimensionally sensible equations, because one should be very careful with a solution, where a dimensionful quantity occurs as the argument in a log function as in this example!

This is a very good point. There is also some useful discussion here, specifically about how whenever we integrate to a logarithm a dimensional quantity like ##\int \frac{dx}{x}##, we must explicitly include another arbitrary dimensional constant in the logarithm e.g. ##\int \frac{dx}{x} = \ln \frac{x}{x_0}##, which is fine because ##\frac{d}{dx} \ln \frac{x}{x_0} = \frac{x_0}{x} \frac{1}{x_0} = \frac{1}{x}##.

And once we tidy everything up, any lingering "dimensional" quantities inside the logarithm are really just the dimensionless coefficients of the unit, pretending to be a dimensional physical quantity :wink:

Likes vanhees71 and JD_PM
A slightly different view maybe..
Adding it to the time side would be logical if there were some physical significance to the state in which the ln term vanishes, as in ##k(t'-t)=\ln(...)##.
More likely, the state t=0 is interesting, so I would add it to the other side, but in the form of a ln: ##kt=-\ln(\frac{kv+g}{kv_0+g})##.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate.

2. How does Newton's 2nd Law apply to a particle falling in a medium?

In the case of a particle falling in a medium, Newton's 2nd Law can be used to calculate the acceleration of the particle. The force acting on the particle is the sum of its weight (due to gravity) and the drag force from the medium. By setting this net force equal to the mass of the particle multiplied by its acceleration, we can solve for the acceleration using the equation F=ma.

3. What is the equation for solving Newton's 2nd Law for a particle falling in a medium?

The equation for solving Newton's 2nd Law for a particle falling in a medium is F_net = mg - bv, where F_net is the net force, m is the mass of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, b is the drag coefficient of the medium, and v is the velocity of the particle.

4. How does the drag force affect the acceleration of a falling particle in a medium?

The drag force, represented by the term bv in the equation, acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion and increases as the velocity of the particle increases. This means that as the particle falls faster, the drag force will also increase, which will ultimately decrease the acceleration of the particle.

5. Can Newton's 2nd Law be used to solve for the velocity and position of a falling particle in a medium?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be used to solve for the velocity and position of a falling particle in a medium. By using the equation F=ma and integrating with respect to time, we can solve for the velocity and position of the particle at any given time during its fall.