How Long Does It Take for a Released Mailbag to Hit the Ground?

In summary, the height of the helicopter above the ground is given by h = 3.50t^3 and after 1.85 seconds, the helicopter releases a mailbag. To find the time it takes for the mailbag to reach the ground, we cannot use constant acceleration formulas. Instead, we can differentiate the height formula to find the velocity at 1.85 seconds or estimate the velocity by graphing the height function and drawing a tangent line at 1.85 seconds.
ryno2107
The height of a helicopter above the ground is given by h = 3.50t^3, where h is in meters and t is in seconds. After 1.85 s, the helicopter releases a small mailbag. How long after its release does the mailbag reach the ground? (Ans. in s.)

(1) y-y0=v0t+1/2*gt^2

(2) v^2=v0^2+2g(y-y0)

(3) y-y0=1/2*(v0+v)t

I sub. 1.85s for t in h=3.50t^3 and h=y0=22.2m.. This is the initial position. The final position is y=0. So I substituted all of my known values into (1) and got v0= -2.92m/s(initial velocity)
then I sub. all the known values into (2) and got v= -21.1m/s. Finally, I sub. v, v0, and the rest of the known values into (3) and got 1.85s. I believe it is the wrong answer. Please help me to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your initial height.
But you can't use a constant acceleration formula to find the velocity of the helicopter at time 1.85 s. There are no formulas for height increasing as the cube of time. If you know a bit of calculus, you can differentiate to get a formula for velocity. If not, you'll have to carefully graph y = 3.50t^3 and draw a tangent line at time 1.85 to estimate the slope, which is the velocity.

Based on the given information, it seems that the mailbag is released from the helicopter at a height of 22.2 meters and an initial velocity of -2.92 m/s. This means that the mailbag is initially moving downwards at a speed of 2.92 m/s. Using this information, we can use the equation (1) to calculate the time it takes for the mailbag to reach the ground.

y-y0=v0t+1/2*gt^2

Where:
y = final position (0 m)
y0 = initial position (22.2 m)
v0 = initial velocity (-2.92 m/s)
g = acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2)
t = time (unknown)

Substituting the known values, we get:

0-22.2 = (-2.92)t + 1/2*(-9.8)t^2

Simplifying, we get:

-22.2 = -2.92t - 4.9t^2

Rearranging to get a quadratic equation in standard form:

4.9t^2 + 2.92t - 22.2 = 0

Using the quadratic formula, we get two possible solutions:

t = (-2.92 ± √(2.92^2 - 4*4.9*(-22.2)))/2*4.9
t ≈ 2.32 s or t ≈ -1.55 s

Since the time cannot be negative, we can discard the second solution and conclude that the mailbag reaches the ground after approximately 2.32 seconds after its release from the helicopter.

1. What is vertical motion?

Vertical motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line along the vertical axis, either upwards or downwards.

2. What factors affect the vertical motion of objects?

The factors that affect vertical motion include the initial velocity of the object, the force of gravity, air resistance, and the mass and shape of the object.

3. How does the height of an object affect its vertical motion?

The height of an object does not affect its vertical motion, as long as it is within the same gravitational field. All objects, regardless of their height, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between projectile motion and free fall?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched at an angle, while free fall refers to the motion of an object that is falling straight down due to the force of gravity.

5. How can the vertical motion of objects be calculated?

The vertical motion of objects can be calculated using the equations of motion and the values of initial velocity, acceleration, time, and displacement. These equations include the equations for constant acceleration and free fall.