1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Motion of Objects

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    The height of a helicopter above the ground is given by h = 3.50t^3, where h is in meters and t is in seconds. After 1.85 s, the helicopter releases a small mailbag. How long after its release does the mailbag reach the ground? (Ans. in s.)

(1) y-y0=v0t+1/2*gt^2

(2) v^2=v0^2+2g(y-y0)

(3) y-y0=1/2*(v0+v)t

I sub. 1.85s for t in h=3.50t^3 and h=y0=22.2m.. This is the initial position. The final position is y=0. So I substituted all of my known values into (1) and got v0= -2.92m/s(initial velocity)
    then I sub. all the known values into (2) and got v= -21.1m/s. Finally, I sub. v, v0, and the rest of the known values into (3) and got 1.85s. I believe it is the wrong answer. Please help me to solve this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I agree with your initial height.
    But you can't use a constant acceleration formula to find the velocity of the helicopter at time 1.85 s. There are no formulas for height increasing as the cube of time. If you know a bit of calculus, you can differentiate to get a formula for velocity. If not, you'll have to carefully graph y = 3.50t^3 and draw a tangent line at time 1.85 to estimate the slope, which is the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook