Calculating Initial Velocity and Time in Vertical Motion

In summary, a ball is thrown vertically from a cliff and rises 10 m above the cliff before falling 50 m below. Using the equation (v final)^2 - (v initial)^2 = 2a (delta y), an initial velocity of 31.3 m/s and a time in the air of 3.194 s can be calculated by using a displacement of 50 m and a final velocity of 0 m/s.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically from the edge of a cliff. It rises 10 m above the cliff, then falls 50 m below the cliff.
Find the inital velocity and determine the time the ball was in the air.

Homework Equations

(v final )^2 - (v initial)^2 = 2a (delta y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I should use 10 or 60 m for the displacement in this equation.

I used 60 m and got v inital = 34. 292 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically from the edge of a cliff. It rises 10 m above the cliff, then falls 50 m below the cliff.

Homework Equations

(v final )^2 - (v initial)^2 = 2a (delta y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I should use 10 or 60 m for the displacement in this equation.

Displacement is a vector with a magnitude equal to the distance between the initial point & final point. In this case your initial point is 0m and your final point is -50m.

veronicak5678 said:

Hi veronicak5678! :smile:

I don't get it … what did you use for vfinal? :confused:

(and why 60 rather than 40?)

Hint: you need at least one known v … so what y must you use? :smile:

I used 0 for v final. And I used 60 because it travels 10 above, then 50 below. So I should just use 50 for delta y?

veronicak5678 said:
I used 0 for v final.

Good … but if you use 0 for vfinal, you must use the y where v = 0, which is … ? :smile:

So I do use 50 for displacement? Using that, I come up with initial velocity = 31.3 m/s, and time in the air = 3.194 s.

1. What is vertical motion?

Vertical motion refers to any movement in a straight line along the vertical axis, either upwards or downwards.

2. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal motion?

Vertical motion occurs along the vertical axis, while horizontal motion occurs along the horizontal axis. In other words, vertical motion involves movement up and down, while horizontal motion involves movement left to right or right to left.

3. What factors affect vertical motion?

The main factors that affect vertical motion are the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. Other factors such as mass and the angle of launch can also have an impact on vertical motion.

4. How is vertical motion represented mathematically?

Vertical motion is typically represented using the equations of motion, which include the initial velocity, acceleration, time, and displacement. These equations can be used to calculate various aspects of an object's vertical motion, such as its velocity and position at a given time.

5. What are some real-life examples of vertical motion?

Some examples of vertical motion in everyday life include jumping, throwing a ball into the air, and riding an elevator. In nature, examples of vertical motion include a bird flying upwards and a waterfall cascading downwards. Vertical motion is also seen in various sports, such as high jump and pole vaulting.