1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical motion

1. Dec 8, 2005 #1
    A stone dropped from the roof of a building hits the ground travelling at speed 19.4 m s-1 . How tall is the building, in m?

is the final velocity 0? or what do you calculate first? to get s
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The initial velocity is zero, you are given the final velocity. What equations do you have that include your givens and the distance of the fall.

4. Dec 8, 2005 #3
    relativistic motion

does anyone know the formula for v using the relativistic mass equation

i get v= the sqroot of(c^2- (restmass^2*c^2)/m^2)
    rearrangeing the formula

5. Dec 8, 2005 #4
    cheers mate

6. Dec 8, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would be best off to learn the basics before including non measurable (for this problem) relativistic effects.

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6
    Please look where do you post things. I just understood your mistake becauseI have even seenthe other post. Try being a bit carefulnext time. Anyway you have a contrasting character of not being able to solve a free fall problem and then talk about the formula whose understanding is beyond the scope of introductory physics.

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7
    OMG.. I tot this was a kinematics problem..?!!>">!"?!">

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?