1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Pendulum Questions

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conical pendulum has length (L) 1.5m and rotates at 4ms-1. What is it's angle (θ) to the vertical?

2. Relevant equations

r = Lsinθ

tanθ = v2/Lsinθg

tanθsinθ = v2/Lg

sinθsinθ/cosθ = v2/Lg

sin2θ/cosθ = v2/Lg

sin2θ + cos2θ = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

I've followed the list of equations given:

L = 1.5m
    v: 4ms
    g: 10ms2 (In our workbook, we usually round it up to 10)

r = 1.5sinθ

tanθ = 42/1.5sinθg

tanθsinθ = 42/1.5 x 10

I get stuck here and I'm not sure how to continue. I get the impression that I've approached this the wrong way entirely :P

Any help? It would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2
    There's nothing wrong with your approach. Why don't you go ahead with it?

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3
    Well, when I get to sin2θ + cos2 θ = 1, I assume you can cancel out the square because the square root of one is one. But if it's sinθ + cosθ = 1, I'm not really sure how to go about that. cos-1 x 1 = 0, and sin-1 x 1 = 90, so θ = 90? Even then, I'm not really sure how to write that.

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

tanθ=sin/cos, so you get sin^2/cos. Write sin^2 = 1-cos^2 and you end up with a quadratic equation in cos.

6. Feb 8, 2014 #5
    I'm still stuck on this question. Is anyone willing to help me? I'm still not sure how to go from sin^2 θ / cos θ = 106.7 to sin^2θ + cos^2 θ = 1.

7. Feb 8, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Screeech. That's me hitting the brakes. I suppose our posts 3 and 4 crossed, because otherwise I would have been sleepless since!

You learned about Pythagoras with his simplest triangle ? Like 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2 ? And you still post something like that, amounting to "therefore 3+4=5" ?

Or, conversely: 3+4 = 7 so 3^2+4^2 = 49 ? I hope not!

Did you read my post #4? If you did, for a while already you'd have in you notebook the relationship

##{1-\cos^2\theta\over\cos\theta} = {v^2\over Lg}##

So you would definitely not have 106.7 on the right hand side, because that is ##{v^2 g\over L}##. Easily mistaken if typing things like tanθ = 42 /1.5sinθg without brackets!

Equation solving skills make you see a simple quadratic equation in ##\cos\theta## here. If you don't see it, rewrite using ##x## instead of ##\cos\theta##.

If you don't see it yet, multiply with ##x## on the left and on the right. Later check that ##x\ne 0##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted