How to Calculate Vertical Reactions and UDLs for a Beam?

In summary, Ry122 is trying to solve an equation where there are two unknowns, but is having trouble because there are two variables. He has taken moments about points A and C, and everything works out except for the minus in front of 15/2*80.
Ry122
I have to calculate the vertical reactions at point A and C.
I know that the sum of all vertical forces is equal to zero but i can't solve the equation since there's two variables.
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Q3.jpg
Bv=50
Cv=55
Dv=45
w=80

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
I have to calculate the vertical reactions at point A and C.
I know that the sum of all vertical forces is equal to zero but i can't solve the equation since there's two variables.

Hi Ry122! :smile:
general rule … when you have a unknown force you can't get rid of, take moments about a point (strictly, an axis) through the line of that force.​
In this case, take moments about A and about C.

(Alternatively, find the point about which the moment of all the given forces is zero :wink:)

Is this correct for the vertical reaction at C?
0=((15/2)*80)-(50x5)-(55x10)+(Cyx10)-(45x14)

Ry122 said:
Is this correct for the vertical reaction at C?
0=((15/2)*80)-(50x5)-(55x10)+(Cyx10)-(45x14)

Hi Ry122! :smile:

Yes … you've taken moments about A …

and everything's correct (except you need a minus in front of the 15/2*80 :wink:) :smile:

(I suggest you take moments about C also, just for practice … but of course, as I expect you've noticed, you don't need to, because you already know the total reaction for A and C together :wink:)

for the UDL wouldn't the moment created about point A be the load (80) multiplied by the distance it covers (15m) then multipied by the half way point (7.5m) giving you a moment of 9000 KN/M about point a?

rather than what you have with 7.5 x 80 giving you a moment of 600 KN/M about point a?

Welcome to PF!

badeany said:
for the UDL wouldn't the moment created about point A be the load (80) multiplied by the distance it covers (15m) then multipied by the half way point (7.5m) giving you a moment of 9000 KN/M about point a?

rather than what you have with 7.5 x 80 giving you a moment of 600 KN/M about point a?

Hi badeany! Welcome to PF! :smile:

ooh … you're right!

I didn't notice the small print ("kN/m") on the diagram! :redface:

Yes, 80 is the force-per-length, so it does have to be multiplied by the length. :wink:

Thanks, and very well spotted! :biggrin:

1. What is a vertical reaction?

A vertical reaction is a force that acts in the opposite direction to an applied load on a structure or object. It is typically a support force that keeps the object in equilibrium.

2. How is the magnitude of a vertical reaction determined?

The magnitude of a vertical reaction is determined by the sum of all the applied loads on the structure or object. This includes any external forces as well as internal forces, such as the weight of the object itself.

3. What is a UDL?

A UDL (uniformly distributed load) is a type of load that is evenly distributed over a span or area. It is a continuous load that can be represented by a single value per unit length or area.

4. How do UDLs affect vertical reactions?

UDLs can significantly impact vertical reactions as they contribute to the total load on a structure or object. The magnitude of the vertical reaction will increase or decrease depending on the direction and magnitude of the UDL.

5. How are vertical reactions and UDLs used in engineering and construction?

Vertical reactions and UDLs are important considerations in the design and analysis of structures and objects. They help engineers determine the necessary support and strength required for a structure to withstand the applied loads and remain in equilibrium.