1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical reactions and UDLs

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    I have to calculate the vertical reactions at point A and C.
    I know that the sum of all vertical forces is equal to zero but i can't solve the equation since there's two variables.
    [​IMG]
    Bv=50
    Cv=55
    Dv=45
    w=80

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ry122! :smile:
    general rule … when you have a unknown force you can't get rid of, take moments about a point (strictly, an axis) through the line of that force.​

In this case, take moments about A and about C.

(Alternatively, find the point about which the moment of all the given forces is zero :wink:)

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    Is this correct for the vertical reaction at C?
    0=((15/2)*80)-(50x5)-(55x10)+(Cyx10)-(45x14)

5. Sep 6, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ry122! :smile:

Yes … you've taken moments about A …

and everything's correct (except you need a minus in front of the 15/2*80 :wink:) :smile:

(I suggest you take moments about C also, just for practice … but of course, as I expect you've noticed, you don't need to, because you already know the total reaction for A and C together :wink:)

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5
    for the UDL wouldnt the moment created about point A be the load (80) multiplied by the distance it covers (15m) then multipied by the half way point (7.5m) giving you a moment of 9000 KN/M about point a?

rather than what you have with 7.5 x 80 giving you a moment of 600 KN/M about point a?

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi badeany! Welcome to PF! :smile:

ooh … you're right!

I didn't notice the small print ("kN/m") on the diagram! :redface:

Yes, 80 is the force-per-length, so it does have to be multiplied by the length. :wink:

Thanks, and very well spotted! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?