How Much Force Must a Rope Withstand in a Vertical Toy Spin?

In summary: The highest point would be when the toy is spinning the fastest, right?The highest point would be when the toy is spinning the fastest, right?
Haigenoob

Homework Statement

I have this exercise in physics, that i just don't know how to do.

"A child is spinning a 100g toy, which is attached to a 30cm long rope on a vertical level.
How much force does the rope have to handle?"

Well, the problem for me is, that there's no time given, how long it takes the child to spin it around or speed.

Homework Equations

a = w^2 * r
w = v/r
w = φ-φo / delta t
w = φ/t
φ = 360 degrees = 2pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't think i can use a = 9.8 m/s^2 for this, to find w and then the other things. Or may be it's just a trick exercise and the solution is just like F = m*a = 0.01m * 9.8m/s^2 = 0.98N?
But then again, the length of the rope should change the force that they toy has on the rope or is that not the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you noted, the problem statement is incomplete.

PhanthomJay said:
As you noted, the problem statement is incomplete.

Yeah, i know, but that's all that i was given. Is it possible then, it's just a trick question and the answer is as simple as F=m*a = 0.98N?

well it could be solved if question question was "what minimum force"

Haigenoob said:
Yeah, i know, but that's all that i was given. Is it possible then, it's just a trick question and the answer is as simple as F=m*a = 0.98N?
No, that would be the tension if the child was just holding the string with the toy dangling down, without spinning it.
cupid.callin said:
well it could be solved if question question was "what minimum force"
Yes it could. It could also be solved if the angular speed was given. But neither was stated in the problem, as written.

but we can't do anything about angular speed ...
all we can do now is to find minimum force

Erm, what's the minimum force then if i may ask, and how do i find it?

Last edited:
for the minumum force, tension in string at hihgest point should be 0

cupid.callin said:
but we can't do anything about angular speed ...
all we can do now is to find minimum force
You can find the minimum force, but why? the problem states
"How much force does the rope have to handle?"
You can only answer
"I have no idea, unless you tell me what its angular velocity is at a given point. I can tell you what minimum force the rope must handle in order to keep it moving in a circle, but I can't tell you what actual force it is required to handle unless you give me more information". This is an issue when the problem statement is unclear...you waste your time trying to figure out the answer, when there is none.

PhanthomJay said:
You can find the minimum force, but why? the problem states
"How much force does the rope have to handle?"
You can only answer
"I have no idea, unless you tell me what its angular velocity is at a given point. I can tell you what minimum force the rope must handle in order to keep it moving in a circle, but I can't tell you what actual force it is required to handle unless you give me more information". This is an issue when the problem statement is unclear...you waste your time trying to figure out the answer, when there is none.

Yes i know, but please tell me anyways, what the minimum force is anyways and how do you find it. Just to know, because this is all the info i have and may be the teacher just specified the question wrongly

I told you already ... ofcourse in any case max force will be at lowest point,

and for that to be minimum, force at highest point should be 0

Haigenoob said:
Yes i know, but please tell me anyways, what the minimum force is anyways and how do you find it. Just to know, because this is all the info i have and may be the teacher just specified the question wrongly
Perhaps the teacher omitted the word 'minimum', in which case it is a good exercise to calculate that minimum force requitred to keep it moving in a circle. Cupid.callin gave you a hint. Now you need to apply Newton's laws, centripetal acceleration concepts, and conservation of energy. Give it a try.

cupid.callin said:
I told you already ... ofcourse in any case max force will be at lowest point,

and for that to be minimum, force at highest point should be 0

English is not my native language, so i have some trouble understanding exactly what it means :(

why not use google translater

it's not the words i don't understand, more like content. By lowest point you mean the end of the rope that the child is holding and the highest point, you mean the end of the rope tied to the toy?

Haigenoob said:
If you agree that the tension force in the rope must be at least 0 at the top of the circle in order for the toy to move in a circle, then draw a free body diagram of the toy when it is in that position at the top of the circle. Examine the forces acting on it. Since T = 0, there is just one force acting down on it. Identify that force, then use Newton's 2nd law to solve for its centripetal acceleration, which you should be familiar with. This will allow you to find the speed of the toy at the top of the circle. Now find the speed at the bottom of the circle, using conservation of energy. Then look at the forces acting on the toy at the bottom of the circle, and solve for the rope tension using Newton 2 again.

The terminology "on a vertical level" seems unclear. Can you post the original language it was written in, without translating? When you level something, it usually means you ensure all points have the same vertical dimension, which means the points lie in a horizontal plane. Are you sure the circle of the given problem lies in a vertical plane? If so, it should say "in a vertical plane," instead of "on a vertical level."

Secondly, when not enough numerical data is given in a question, it usually means you write one or more parameters as a variable, and derive the answer in terms of the variables. But first, let us know the untranslated language of the question.

By the way, Haigenoob, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 100 g, not 100g. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

Got it done already, thank you for the help

What is vertical rotation movement?

Vertical rotation movement is a type of movement where an object or body rotates around a vertical axis. This means that the object or body moves in a circular motion around a point that is perpendicular to the ground.

What are some examples of vertical rotation movement?

Some examples of vertical rotation movement include a spinning top, a rotating fan, a merry-go-round, and a swinging pendulum.

How is vertical rotation movement different from horizontal rotation movement?

The main difference between vertical rotation movement and horizontal rotation movement is the axis of rotation. As the names suggest, vertical rotation movement occurs around a vertical axis, while horizontal rotation movement occurs around a horizontal axis.

What are the applications of vertical rotation movement?

Vertical rotation movement has various applications in different fields. In physics, it is used to study rotational motion and angular momentum. In engineering, it is used in the design of machines and structures such as turbines and bridges. In sports, it is used in activities like gymnastics and figure skating.

How is vertical rotation movement related to gravity?

Vertical rotation movement is related to gravity because the force of gravity affects the motion of an object or body as it rotates around a vertical axis. This can be observed in objects such as a spinning top, where gravity causes the top to eventually slow down and fall over.