Vertical Jump Analysis: Calculating Time and Take-Off Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time and initial velocity of a volleyball player who can jump to a vertical height of 85 cm while spiking the ball. The conversation goes through several attempts at solving the problem using kinematic equations and determining the speed of the player at 85 cm and the time it takes for them to fall from that height. Ultimately, it is recommended to use two equations to solve for the two unknowns.
KaseyK

Homework Statement

A certain volleyball player can jump to a vertical height of 85 cm while spiking the volleyball.

Homework Equations

(a) How long is the player in the air for?
(b) What is the player's vertical take-off speed?

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I converted 85 cm to m, which is 0.85m.

I then drew a free-body diagram to help me visualize what was happening with the player. Sorry I can't draw it on here.

I then used the kinematic equation:

d=v1(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)
Because I assumed that the inital velocity was zero (because he hasn't jumped up yet) the equation was left with:

d=1/2(a)(t^2)
.85x2 = 1/2(9.81)t^2
t = 0.61 seconds

The answer should be 0.83 seconds. Where did I go wrong?

I haven't attempted 'b' because I need to figure 'a' out first.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kasey

Physics news on Phys.org
Initial velocity is not 0 because if she started on the ground, how did she get in the air? You have two variables, v0 and t.

Okay did I at least use the right kinematic equation?

Is there anything else you can hint to, to send me in the right direction?

Thanks

There are multiple ways of doing this. Yes your way is valid. Remember the time it takes to come down is the same as the time it takes to come up.

You can't calculate it like that because you don't know his initial speed yet. What you do know is his speed when he reaches 85cm height. What is it? How long does it take him to fall from 85cm back to the ground?

Edit: I made an assumption here that you have to solve it using kinematics. If this is not so then there is an easier way!

Last edited:
Because you have two unknowns, you need two equations. For the second equation, remember that the velocity has been reduced to zero at the top of the jump.

Cyosis said:
You can't calculate it like that because you don't know his initial speed yet. What you do know is his speed when he reaches 85cm height. What is it? How long does it take him to fall from 85cm back to the ground?

Edit: I made an assumption here that you have to solve it using kinematics. If this is not so then there is an easier way!

No I don't need to solve it using kinematics. I can use any way I want, I just can't figure either way out...ugh.

We can do it multiple ways, but let us first do it in the order you're asked to do it.

You need to answer this. What is the speed of the player at 85cm and how long does it take for him to fall 85cm after reaching that height?

Sorry when I said your way is valid, I was talking about your equation. Sorry for any confusion that it caused.

1. What is vertical velocity and how is it measured?

Vertical velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position in the vertical direction, usually measured in meters per second. It can be calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time.

2. How does vertical velocity affect an object's motion?

Vertical velocity can affect the height an object can reach, the time it takes to reach that height, and the force with which it impacts the ground. It also plays a role in determining the trajectory of an object's motion.

3. What is the relationship between vertical velocity and time?

The relationship between vertical velocity and time is directly proportional. This means that as time increases, so does the vertical velocity, and vice versa. However, this relationship can be affected by factors such as air resistance and gravity.

4. How is vertical velocity affected by gravity?

Gravity has a significant impact on vertical velocity. It causes objects to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that as an object falls, its vertical velocity increases due to the pull of gravity.

5. Can vertical velocity be negative?

Yes, vertical velocity can be negative. A negative vertical velocity indicates that an object is moving downwards, while a positive vertical velocity indicates upward motion. This can happen when an object is thrown upwards and reaches its peak before falling back down.