1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical velocity component

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. A 0.20kg ball with an initial velocity of (26i-1.6j)m/s collides with a vertical wall. The wall exerts a constant force of -175i N on the ball and the ball's final horizontal velocity component is -15i m/s. Find the final vertical velocity component of the ball.

2. I know how to find the total change in momentum of the ball and how long the ball was in contact with the wall, but i don't know how to find the vertical velocity component.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What vertical force acts on the ball?

ehild

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    I am guessing gravity maybe???

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is gravity. Gravity causes a vertical acceleration. You know the time of interaction with the wall. How much does the vertical velocity component change during that time?

ehild

6. Oct 25, 2011 #5
    I thought I had to know the final velocity in order to find the interaction time with the wall and would find it using the formula: FΔt=m(v2-v1)....is that right?

7. Oct 26, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is true for each components separately. The wall exerts horizontal force so it changes the horizontal velocity component. You know both the initial and final horizontal velocity components and you know that the wall exerts a horizontal force of -175i N. How long does this force act on the ball?
    Gravity exerts vertical force: it changes the vertical velocity component. You need the time Δt to calculate the vertical change of velocity during the interaction with the wall.

ehild

8. Oct 26, 2011 #7
    so would the time be:
    -175Δt=.2(-15i-26i)
    -175Δt=.2(-41)
    -175Δt=-8.2
    t=.047?

9. Oct 26, 2011 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is OK, but use one more digits as you will use this number for further calculation. So Δt=0.0469 s.

(And either omit the i-s everywhere or use them everywhere, and do not change Δt to t.)

Now calculate the change of the vertical velocity component because of gravity.

ehild

10. Oct 26, 2011 #9
    9.81(.0469)=.2(v2+1.6)
    .460089=.2v2+.32
    .140089=.2v2
    v2=.7004m/s
    is that right?

11. Oct 26, 2011 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is wrong.

The change of velocity is aΔt.

ehild

12. Oct 26, 2011 #11
    I'm confused.....what formula do I need to find the final vertical velocity component?

13. Oct 27, 2011 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you get the velocity of a falling body?

ehild

14. Oct 27, 2011 #13
    The motion equation: v(t)=v0+at?

15. Oct 27, 2011 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

ehild

16. Oct 27, 2011 #15
    -1.6+(9.81)(.0460)=-1.14
    Is that right?

17. Oct 27, 2011 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gravity points downward. Your result is correct if the vertical axis of the coordinate system also points downward. I guess the problem meant upward y axis. Then g=-9.81 m/s^2.

ehild

18. Oct 30, 2011 #17
    In my answer key, it says that the final vertical velocity component is -1.6j, which is the same as the initial vertical velocity component. what am I doing wrong?

19. Oct 30, 2011 #18

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you are correct. If that wall were in the free space, the answer key would be correct: The force of the wall in the x direction changes only the x component of the velocity. But we are on the Earth and everything is exposed to gravity, and it changes the vertical velocity during the time while the wall and ball are in contact.

ehild

20. Nov 1, 2011 #19
    In my answer key for this problem it says that the final vertical velocity component is the same as the initial vertical velocity component...is that right?

21. Nov 1, 2011 #20

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends on the problem, if gravity is supposed to exist or not. Ask your teacher about it. In my opinion, talking about horizontal and vertical, and ignoring gravity at the same time is not correct.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook