Ratio of Periods for Vertically Oscillating Rods of Different Lengths

In summary, the ratio T/To for two uniform thin rods oscillating vertically on frictionless axes is equal to 9.47, as determined by substituting the relevant equations and simplifying the terms.
rubenhero

Homework Statement

Assume all oscillators are frictionless.
e) A uniform thin rod (Mass M, length Lo) oscillates vertically on a frictionless axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through one end with period To. Now, a second uniform rod is made of the same material and mounted the same way, so it oscillates vertically about an axis through one end with period T. The length of the second pendulum is L = 9.47Lo. You may assume the rod is essentially one-dimensional.
Find the ratio T/To.

Homework Equations

I = 1/3 ML2, T = 2∏√(I/Mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

T/To = [2∏√(1/3 M(9.47Lo)2/Mgd)] / [2∏√(1/3 MLo2/Mgd)]
T/To = [√(1/3 M(9.47Lo)2/Mgd)] / [√(1/3 MLo2/Mgd)]
T2/To2 = [(1/3(9.47Lo)2/gd)] / [(1/3Lo2/gd)]
T2/To2 = (3gd(9.47Lo)2)/(3gd(Lo)2)
T2/To2 = (9.47Lo)2/(Lo)2
T/To = (9.47Lo)/(Lo)
T/To = 9.47

The ratio I calculated is wrong. I believe my calculation is in order. Any help in pointing out any possible mistakes is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rubenhero said:
I = 1/3 ML2, T = 2∏√(I/Mgd)
Write d in terms of L. What's T in terms of L and g?

Thank you for your response Doc Al. I'm thinking d in terms of L would be L/2. Also T = 2∏√(2L/3g). Is this correct?

rubenhero said:
I'm thinking d in terms of L would be L/2. Also T = 2∏√(2L/3g). Is this correct?
Looks good to me.

T/To = 2∏√(2*9.47Lo/3g) / 2∏√(2Lo/3g)
T2/To2 = (2*9.47Lo/3g) / (2Lo/3g)
T2/To2 = (2*3g*9.47Lo) / (2*3g*Lo)
T2/To2 = 9.47
T/To = 3.077336511

I redid the problem with the substitution of the terms, Is it right that I ended up canceling out most of the terms?

rubenhero said:
I redid the problem with the substitution of the terms, Is it right that I ended up canceling out most of the terms?
Definitely. You can write the period as T = constants*√(L). Those constants don't matter, since all you want is the ratio.

Thank you for your help, I don't think I would've ever thought to make those substitutions on my own.

1. What is a vertically oscillating rod?

A vertically oscillating rod is a rod that is able to move up and down in a straight line, mimicking the motion of a pendulum, due to an external force.

2. What causes a vertically oscillating rod to move?

A vertically oscillating rod is typically moved by an external force, such as a motor or hand, which causes the rod to move up and down.

3. What are the practical applications of a vertically oscillating rod?

A vertically oscillating rod has a variety of practical applications, including in mechanical systems for measuring and controlling motion, in musical instruments for creating sound, and in medical devices for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.

4. How does the frequency of a vertically oscillating rod affect its motion?

The frequency of a vertically oscillating rod, or the number of oscillations per unit of time, is directly related to the speed and amplitude of its motion. A higher frequency results in a faster and larger motion, while a lower frequency results in a slower and smaller motion.

5. What factors can affect the amplitude of a vertically oscillating rod?

The amplitude, or the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, of a vertically oscillating rod can be affected by various factors, including the force applied, the length and stiffness of the rod, and the presence of any damping forces, such as friction or air resistance.