1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertically Thrown Stones

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone is thrown up vertically from the ground (the gravitational acceleration is g=10 m/s2). After a time Δt= 1 s, a second stone is thrown up vertically. The first stone has an initial speed v1= 7.0 m/s, and the second stone v2= 7.0 m/s.

(a) At what time t after the first stone is thrown will the two stones be at the same altitude h above ground? (in seconds)

(b) At what altitude h above ground will the two stones meet? (in meters)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I created two equations : h=-.5gt^2+vt and h=-.5g(t-1)^2+v(t-1).
    Solved for t and got 1.2, then substituted t=1.2 in the equations and got h=1.2. Is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you try substituting those times back into the equations to see if they both produce 1.2m? (I did, and they do :smile:)

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    So am I right?

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

yes.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    A stone is thrown up vertically from the ground (the gravitational acceleration is g=10 m/s2). After a time Δt= 1 s, a second stone is thrown up vertically. The first stone has an initial speed v1= 13.0 m/s, and the second stone v2= 18.0 m/s.

(a) At what time t after the first stone is thrown will the two stones be at the same altitude h above ground? (in seconds)
    (b) At what altitude h above ground will the two stones meet? (in meters)

h=?

Friends, i would really appreciate if you help me out to solve this question.

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6
    hey, start a new/separate thread!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted