1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very accurate motors

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1

iii

I am searching in google after professors websites or articles \ papers or video lectures in very accurate motors (1 nanometer), that use the principles of piezoelectric and ceramic motor movement, that can move in linear and rotate movement and they are rapid, and very small, if you know about good websites in this area so I will glad to know about that

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Inchworm"+"actuator."

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

Danger

Gold Member

That thing is astounding! I wonder, though, if anything of a rotary nature (as iii mentioned as part of the question) exists? I've seen "nanomotors" that just rotate on or in a silicon wafer, but can they actually be connected to anything in order to be useful? My concern is that there can't be a lot of torque there.

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Rotary?" See "magnetostriction." There are "cuts" of quartz crystals, and other piezoelectric materials, that will actually "twist" under applied voltages. Don't ask me for details --- that was a "dead end" technical work-around on which very little time was spent a very long time ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook